Eastlink To Launch Wireless Service in Canada
By Vijaykumar Meti | February 15, 2013 9:35 PM EST
Cable and communication provider EastLink has announced that it is planning to launch mobile service.
EastLink is owned by Bragg Communication Inc. of Nova Scotia. The company had spent $200 million to purchase wireless licenses in 2008.
"I felt we shouldn't have to have a contract in order to be able to maintain that customer relationship," said Lee Bragg, CEO of Eastlink. "We should want our customers to want to do business with us."
Eastlink wireless service in Halifax will be available starting Friday and services in other locations are expected to be launched in the coming weeks. While coverage is immediately available across mainland in Nova Scotia and southern Prince Edward Island (PEI), Eastlink also plans to roll out the service to rest of Nova Scotia and PEI by the end of the year.
"There is no tremendous speed-to-market advantage for us," said Bragg. "We're moving into a market that is already dominated by some big players. ... It is more important to do it right."
As the wireless market is concentrating on wireless data, EastLink also decided to launch 4G LTE (Long-Term Evolution) wireless network.
"There are a lot more devices available if you have LTE," said Matthew MacLellan, president of EastLink Wireless.
LTE (Long-Term Evolution) is the latest generation network providing high-speed data and faster download speed.
"We thought there was a great opportunity for us to watch other new entrants heading into the marketplace, learn from them and learn from the competitive reaction to how they launched," said MacLellan "That has been a very helpful exercise."
EastLink provides the serive with popular smartphones such as the Sony Xperia T, Samsung Galaxy S III, LG Nexus and two BlackBerry models; Bold and Curve. It also plans to offer service on the new BlackBerry Z10 in the coming month but it will not offer Apple's iPhone.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners