Spain's Bankia hires Rothschild to sell company stakes
February 15, 2013 9:28 PM EST
Bailed-out Spanish lender Bankia
Bankia, which along with parent group BFA took 18 billion euros (15 billion pounds) of European Union aid last year, has to shrinks its business as a condition of the rescue.
"We have hired Rothschild for certain disposals," a spokesman for Bankia said on Friday.
Bankia, which is controlled by the government through BFA, has said it hopes to raise about 8 billion euros by selling its stakes in Spanish listed and private companies.
The bank owns 12 percent of International Airlines Group
It also has 20 percent of technology group Indra, 27 percent of insurer Realia
Bankia, which has forecast losses of 19 billion euros for 2012, said in a November presentation that it would likely make provisions against losses on its company holdings of 4.3 billion euros. The bank revalued the holdings on its books to mark them down to market prices.
Bankia shares were down 8.3 percent on Friday morning at 0.37 euros at 0920 GMT, after closing down 12 percent on Thursday. The drop followed a warning by Spanish bank restructuring fund FROB that existing shareholders would be heavily diluted in an upcoming recapitalisation.
(Reporting by Robert Hetz, Writing by Sarah White, Editing by Erica Billingham)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales