Spain's Bankia hires Rothschild to sell company stakes
February 15, 2013 9:28 PM EST
Bailed-out Spanish lender Bankia
Bankia, which along with parent group BFA took 18 billion euros (15 billion pounds) of European Union aid last year, has to shrinks its business as a condition of the rescue.
"We have hired Rothschild for certain disposals," a spokesman for Bankia said on Friday.
Bankia, which is controlled by the government through BFA, has said it hopes to raise about 8 billion euros by selling its stakes in Spanish listed and private companies.
The bank owns 12 percent of International Airlines Group
It also has 20 percent of technology group Indra, 27 percent of insurer Realia
Bankia, which has forecast losses of 19 billion euros for 2012, said in a November presentation that it would likely make provisions against losses on its company holdings of 4.3 billion euros. The bank revalued the holdings on its books to mark them down to market prices.
Bankia shares were down 8.3 percent on Friday morning at 0.37 euros at 0920 GMT, after closing down 12 percent on Thursday. The drop followed a warning by Spanish bank restructuring fund FROB that existing shareholders would be heavily diluted in an upcoming recapitalisation.
(Reporting by Robert Hetz, Writing by Sarah White, Editing by Erica Billingham)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy