Spain's Bankia hires Rothschild to sell company stakes
February 15, 2013 9:28 PM EST
Bailed-out Spanish lender Bankia
Bankia, which along with parent group BFA took 18 billion euros (15 billion pounds) of European Union aid last year, has to shrinks its business as a condition of the rescue.
"We have hired Rothschild for certain disposals," a spokesman for Bankia said on Friday.
Bankia, which is controlled by the government through BFA, has said it hopes to raise about 8 billion euros by selling its stakes in Spanish listed and private companies.
The bank owns 12 percent of International Airlines Group
It also has 20 percent of technology group Indra, 27 percent of insurer Realia
Bankia, which has forecast losses of 19 billion euros for 2012, said in a November presentation that it would likely make provisions against losses on its company holdings of 4.3 billion euros. The bank revalued the holdings on its books to mark them down to market prices.
Bankia shares were down 8.3 percent on Friday morning at 0.37 euros at 0920 GMT, after closing down 12 percent on Thursday. The drop followed a warning by Spanish bank restructuring fund FROB that existing shareholders would be heavily diluted in an upcoming recapitalisation.
(Reporting by Robert Hetz, Writing by Sarah White, Editing by Erica Billingham)
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build