Prototype PlayStation 4 Controller Leaked
By agnisheik chatterji | February 15, 2013 8:34 PM EST
An image of what is believed to be a prototype of the new PlayStation 4 controller has been leaked online showing a touch panel on the front and a motion tracking sensor.
Sony is set to launch the PlayStation 4 at an event in New York on 20 February and the leaked image shows the company is not planning on straying too far from the design of the current DualShock controller.
The image was originally posted by Destructoid who said the unit it got was very likely not a final design though it believed it did represent the final functionality of the new controller.
The image confirms earlier reports of the new controller having a touch screen, and the Start, Select or Share buttons being shifted or completely removed in this new version.
Last November, Sony filed a patent for a "Hybrid Seperable Motion Controller" which features motion sensors and can be split into two halves to provide a movement sensitive controller for each of the player's hands.
The touchpad, similar to the back of PlayStation Vita, has been added to the new variant. But, this time, the touch screen has been put at the centre of the controller.
There is an illuminated panel on the head of the controller, resembling the light in Sony's PlayStation Move controller and is said to track the motion of the controller.
The analog sticks seem to bit further apart from each other, though unlike Xbox controllers, the sticks remain level. The sticks are conclave on this new controller, unlike PS3's convex-shaped ones.
At the centre, the inclusion of speaker grate suggests that Sony is in the process of building an integrated speaker or microphone into the controller. IGN reports that the new microphone/integrated speaker could be similar to Wii and Wii U to provide audible cues. They also suggest that the new button could be used to detect voice commands for online play or audio/video conferencing.
IBTimes UK will be in New York for the launch of the PlayStation 4 on 20 February.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy