Anglo American Full-Year Profits Plunge After Brazil Writedown
By Martin Baccardax | February 15, 2013 6:37 PM EST
Anglo American posted a full year pre-tax loss after the world's biggest platinum miner was forced to take a multi-billion dollar writedown on the value of a key project in Brazil.
Anglo said its full year loss for the 2012 financial year was $239m (€178.7m/£154m), compared to a $10.782bn pre-tax profit in 2011, the company said in a statement published on its website Friday. The loss attributable to shareholders in the year was $1.15bn, the company said, compared to a profit of $6.169bn in 2011. Group revenues fell 10 percent to $32.7bn while underlying profit fell 44 percent to $6.2bn.
"Anglo American continued its drive for strong operational performance throughout 2012 in an environment of tough macroeconomic headwinds and a number of industry-wide and company specific challenges," CEO Cynthia Carroll said in the statement. "Record volumes of metallurgical coal, achieving benchmark equipment performance levels, and of iron ore and increased volumes of export thermal coal and copper helped to offset the impact of illegal industrial action, declining grades and higher waste stripping."
Anglo raised its cost estimate for the Minas-Rio iron ore project for the sixth time last month, taking the most recent tally to $8.8bn. The original estimate was $2.6bn.
"We are clearly disappointed that the diversity of challenges that our Minas-Rio project has faced has contributed to a significant increase in capital expenditure, leading to the impairment we have recorded," said outgoing CEO Carroll on 29 January. "Despite the difficulties, we continue to be confident of the medium and long term attractiveness and strategic positioning of Minas-Rio and we remain committed to the project."
Anglo's writedown came just two weeks after Tom Albanese was forced out as CEO of Rio Tinto after the world's second largest mining group announced a shock $14bn charge to the value of key mining assets - Rio Tinto Alcan and Pacific Aluminium - that he directed the company to purchase less than five years ago.
Anglo bought Minas Rio in 2007 under Carroll's plan to diversify the group's revenue base outside of its South African roots for around $5.5bn and expects further development costs to pass $8bn.
Carroll, who served as CEO for just over five years and was both the first woman and the first non-South African to head the group, will be replaced by former AngloGold Ashanti CEO Mark Cutifani on 3 April as it struggles to hold costs in check in Brazil and navigate increasingly complicated labour relations in South Africa.
Anglo American shares rose 2 percent in early London trading to change hands at 2,057.0 pence each.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around