If Only Earth Can Catch It, Asteroid 2012 DA14 Could Possess Raw Materials Worth $195B
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 15, 2013 4:40 PM EST
If only the Earth can catch it, Asteroid 2012 DA14, which is expected to flyby the planet on Feb. 16 at 4:30am (AEDT), could have a variety of valuable resources, including metals such as iron and nickel, as well as water that can be utilised in space as rocket fuel, all worth a whopping US$195 billion.
Deep Space Industries (DSI), a United States firm that hopes to pioneer asteroid mining, said Asteroid 2012 DA14 is sure to have essential components that can be used to make life easier on Earth.
David Gump, CEO of DSI, said that assuming Asteroid 2012 DA14 did land somewhere on Earth, its water component, if successfully retrieved, even at 5 per cent could be worth up to $A62 billion.
And assuming the rock contains potential metals that could easily be recovered, even at 10 per cent, that could be already worth another AU$125 billion.
"Even a small rock is worth millions," he said.
Asteroid DA14 will fly as close as 27,680 km to the earth, within the orbit of some satellites.
But too bad, we're just gonna get teased by its beauty when it passes by.
In January, DSI said it will send a fleet of probes to examine asteroids passing Earth in 2015, before launching a mission to return a sample to Earth within the next decade.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display