If Only Earth Can Catch It, Asteroid 2012 DA14 Could Possess Raw Materials Worth $195B
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 15, 2013 4:40 PM EST
If only the Earth can catch it, Asteroid 2012 DA14, which is expected to flyby the planet on Feb. 16 at 4:30am (AEDT), could have a variety of valuable resources, including metals such as iron and nickel, as well as water that can be utilised in space as rocket fuel, all worth a whopping US$195 billion.
Deep Space Industries (DSI), a United States firm that hopes to pioneer asteroid mining, said Asteroid 2012 DA14 is sure to have essential components that can be used to make life easier on Earth.
David Gump, CEO of DSI, said that assuming Asteroid 2012 DA14 did land somewhere on Earth, its water component, if successfully retrieved, even at 5 per cent could be worth up to $A62 billion.
And assuming the rock contains potential metals that could easily be recovered, even at 10 per cent, that could be already worth another AU$125 billion.
"Even a small rock is worth millions," he said.
Asteroid DA14 will fly as close as 27,680 km to the earth, within the orbit of some satellites.
But too bad, we're just gonna get teased by its beauty when it passes by.
In January, DSI said it will send a fleet of probes to examine asteroids passing Earth in 2015, before launching a mission to return a sample to Earth within the next decade.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- China Is Building An Island In The Spratly Islands—Report
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- New Zealand's Surveillance Laws Are Anti-People, Says Green Party leader Russel Norman
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues