Mattel Goes Local in Brazil, India
February 15, 2013 3:01 PM EST
Mattel Inc (MAT.O), the world's biggest toymaker, has begun making products for local consumption in those fast-growing countries in a new bid to hold the line on costs.
The move comes as manufacturers of many stripes are reevaluating China, which has seen its image as a low-cost manufacturing hub dented by wage inflation and higher shipping costs.
"That's for efficiency reasons. It's not to say we are not continuing in China," Lisa McKnight, SVP Marketing of Mattel's North American unit, said in a recent interview on the sidelines of the 110th American International Toy Fair in New York.
The El Segundo, California-based toymaker closed its last factory in the United States, originally part of the Fisher-Price unit, in 2002.
In Brazil, Mattel makes products including Uno card packs, puzzles, Fisher-Price Rock-a-Stack toys - brightly colored plastic rings that babies pile up on a pole - and some other simple molded products. In India, Mattel is assembling and packaging Barbie products on a small scale and having some paper-based products locally made.
A label on a pack of Uno cards Reuters obtained in India showed it was made for Mattel by Parksons Cartamundi Private Limited, a local manufacturer based in Daman, a city in the union territory of Daman & Diu in India.
Toys based on paper, cardboard and cardstock - such as puzzles and card games - are easy and inexpensive to make locally, the company said.
Local production helps Mattel get products to store shelves faster, cut down on import duties and reduce costs associated with moving products around, the toymaker said.
While the Mattel products made in India and Brazil are not now being exported, the company did not rule out that possibility.
"We are always evaluating our manufacturing and sourcing operations and look for opportunities for efficiencies; however we have no plans to share at this time," Alan Hilowitz, a company spokesman, told Reuters.
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks