Is Facebook Down? Here's Why You're Getting A 'Facebook Will Be Back Soon' Message
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 15, 2013 2:12 PM EST
Many Facebook users were surprised to find that the site was down Thursday evening, but the site has provided an explanation for social media addicts looking to post Valentine's Day messages and photos.
"Facebook Will Be Back Soon Facebook is down for required maintenance right now, but you should be able to get back on within a few minutes. In the meantime, read more about why you're seeing this message. Thanks for your patience as we improve the site."
The vast social network occasionally has to undertake various actions and institute fixes in order to keep it in working order. And perhaps Valentine's Day evening seemed like a time when people would be too busy eating at fancy restaurants and exchanging gifts to notice.
Also, Graph Search, a new Facebook tool that allows users to find friends and other things more easily on the site and with greater control than ever before, was just announced, so perhaps there are some bugs that Facebook has to work out with the new feature.
It's not clear exactly why Facebook is down at the moment, but Facebook provided the following stock answer:
"If you're seeing this message when you log in, it usually means that we're making an improvement to the database that your account is stored on. While we're doing this, you won't be able to access your account. We're sorry for the temporary inconvenience. After the maintenance is over, you'll still be able to log in with the same password. Your account will not be affected by the maintenance. We don't do site maintenance on all accounts at the same time, so it's possible that your friends will be able to access the site while your account is unavailable."
So don't worry, it is most likely that the work is not going to cause any trouble for you or your account.
However, if you ever find that you can't log into Facebook for 24 hours straight, the site's staff want you to contact them and let them know, which you can do by clicking on this link.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for Moto X Reported With Poor Battery Life; Six Ways to Resolve the Issue
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire News: Meet Professor Birch Plus X and Y Updates
- Samsung Galaxy S5: Logitech Unveils Protection+ Case Accessory for Android Smartphone
- Sony Xperia Z Android 4.4.2 KitKat Battery Issue, How to Resolve and Future Firmware Upgrade
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition: Flemeth, Tallis, the Warden and Champion of Kirkwall Possible Appearances
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June