Christopher Dorner’s Body Positively Identified; How Do Conspiracy Theorists Respond To Latest News?
By Charles Poladian | February 15, 2013 12:32 PM EST
Christopher Dorner’s body has been positively identified, according to several reports Thursday evening.
The ex-LAPD cop's life ended Tuesday after a shootout with police at a cabin near Big Bear, Calif., which left one deputy dead and another wounded, before the cabin was set on fire.
Medical examiners have positively identified the charred body as Dorner's through dental records, reports ABC News. The statement released by the San Bernardino County Sheriff and Coroner's Office said, “The charred human remains located in the burned-out cabin in Seven Oaks have been positively identified to be that of Christopher Dorner.”
While the body has been positively identified, the cause of death was not released. Before the cabin burned down there was a gunshot heard, leading many to speculate that the heavily armed Dorner committed suicide.
Earlier Tuesday, Dorner, on the run for a week, broke into a Big Bear home and stole a truck, which led to a chase back to the cabin. Dorner barricaded himself inside, and police eventually threw tear gas into the cabin. While there has been some audio that has led to speculation that police intentionally set the cabin aflame, as previously reported by IBTimes, San Bernardino County Sheriff John McMahon denied that Wednesday. He said, “We did not intentionally burn down that cabin to get Mr. Dorner out,” reports Los Angeles Times.
Conspiracy mongers have been quick to say the Dorner manhunt was a hoax, pointing to discrepancies in initial media reports as well as the idea of a “magic wallet.” It was reported that police found Dorner’s wallet a week prior to the standoff and again inside the burned cabin, although reports say only his ID was found. On Wednesday, conspiracy theories flooded Facebook and Twitter, but they seem to have abated Thursday.
On Twitter, #TeamDorner is silent while most references to Dorner are focused on disseminating the news of the identification. A few are still clinging to the “magic wallet” claim while others believe the quick ID of the body is questionable. On Facebook, it seems many have accepted their “hero” is dead.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks