Cruise Ship Triumph Expected To Reach Port Late Thursday Night
By Eric Brown | February 15, 2013 12:05 PM EST
After five days stranded at sea, the Carnival Cruise Ship Triumph is finally expected to enter port in Mobile, Ala., late Thursday night.
According to ABC News, the Triumph is expected to dock in Mobile between the hours of 10:30 p.m. and 1 a.m. on Thursday after eight days at sea and five without power. While relatives are reportedly already lining up to meet their loved ones, the beleaguered passengers and crew might not make it off the ship until dawn.
Because the Triumph and its more than 4,000 passengers and crew members will be reaching port so late, Carnival expects the disembarking process to be difficult in the dark. Additionally, there is only one working elevator aboard the ship, making the logistics of the disembarkment difficult.
"There are issues regarding coming into the ship channel and docking at night because the ship has no power and there's safety issues there," Richard Tillman of the Mobile Bay Convention and Visitors Bureau told ABCNews.com.
Throughout Thursday, Triumph has been pulled closer to port by a tug boat, and though the tug boat broke down around 2 p.m. EST, a second one quickly arrived to bring the cruise ship in safely.
The cruise ship Triumph departed from Galveston, Texas, on Feb. 7 on what was supposed to be a four-day cruise. On Sunday, as the boat was heading to Mobile, a fire broke out about the engine room, shutting off most of the boat’s power and stranding it in the Gulf of Mexico.
Passengers of the boat have been texting both loved ones and news organizations stating that conditions onboard the cruise ship are terrible, and and the LA Times is reporting that passengers have been “sleeping in hallways, urinating in bags and waiting hours in line for limited food.”
"[There are] no showers. The smell's terrible. We are camping on deck," passenger Ann Barlow told ABC News.
All of the 3,143 passengers onboard the Triumph will be given a full refund for the cruise as well a reimbursement for transportation expenses and a voucher for a free future cruise. On Wednesday, Carnival Cruise Lines CEO Gerry Cahill announced that all passengers onboard the Triumph would receive $500 in additional compensation as well, according to ABC News.
"We know it has been a longer journey back than we anticipated at the beginning of the week under very challenging circumstances," he said in a statement. "We are very sorry for what our guests have had to endure. Therefore, in addition to the full refund and future cruise credit already offered, we have decided to provide this additional compensation."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet