Scientists Warn NZ Maui Dolphin Could Become Extinct by 2030
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 15, 2013 11:56 AM EST
Dolphin and whale watch cruises are one of the most popular tourist attractions in Auckland, New Zealand.
This writer had an opportunity to see and video dolphins gliding along the Explore NZ vessel in April 2012.
However, this thriving money earner is being jeopardised by the threat of extinction by 2030 for one dolphin sub-species - the Maui dolphin. Scientists from the Society for Marine Mammalogy (SMM) in the U.S. said that the population of the world's smallest dolphin sub-species has gone down to only 55.
The Maui dolphin could only be found in the waters of the North Island's west coast in New Zealand.
The society wrote a letter to New Zealand Prime Minister John Key, pointing out that based on scientific data, five dolphins die yearly due to being entangled in fishing nets. It sought a ban on trawling and gillnetting, a fishing method, in the country's marine habitat.
"In a situation such as this one, involving a critically endangered sub-species, delay to resolve uncertainty could have dire, irrevocable results . . . I encourage you to act quickly and decisively to provide the leadership in marine conservation that the world expects of your country," SMM President Helene Marsh wrote in her letter to Mr Key dated Feb 11.
The warning echoed the plea made by the International Whaling Commission in July 2012 for Wellington to extend maritime protection zones for dolphins. The New Zealand government had actually started to review in 2012 protection measures but has yet to release the measures it would take.
Also endangered are the Hector's dolphins which are found only around New Zealand but whose population had dwindled to 7,000 from 30,000 because of nylon fishing nets used by fishermen since the 1970s.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Volatile Volcanoes Are Waking Up
- Danish Authorities Are Being Complicit In Brutal Slaughtering Of Pilot Whales: Charlie Sheen; An Australian Arrested
- 20-Year-Old Isabelle Roberts Dislocates Jaw After Screaming During Ice Bucket Challenge (Watch Video)
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged