Scientists Warn NZ Maui Dolphin Could Become Extinct by 2030
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 15, 2013 11:56 AM EST
Dolphin and whale watch cruises are one of the most popular tourist attractions in Auckland, New Zealand.
This writer had an opportunity to see and video dolphins gliding along the Explore NZ vessel in April 2012.
However, this thriving money earner is being jeopardised by the threat of extinction by 2030 for one dolphin sub-species - the Maui dolphin. Scientists from the Society for Marine Mammalogy (SMM) in the U.S. said that the population of the world's smallest dolphin sub-species has gone down to only 55.
The Maui dolphin could only be found in the waters of the North Island's west coast in New Zealand.
The society wrote a letter to New Zealand Prime Minister John Key, pointing out that based on scientific data, five dolphins die yearly due to being entangled in fishing nets. It sought a ban on trawling and gillnetting, a fishing method, in the country's marine habitat.
"In a situation such as this one, involving a critically endangered sub-species, delay to resolve uncertainty could have dire, irrevocable results . . . I encourage you to act quickly and decisively to provide the leadership in marine conservation that the world expects of your country," SMM President Helene Marsh wrote in her letter to Mr Key dated Feb 11.
The warning echoed the plea made by the International Whaling Commission in July 2012 for Wellington to extend maritime protection zones for dolphins. The New Zealand government had actually started to review in 2012 protection measures but has yet to release the measures it would take.
Also endangered are the Hector's dolphins which are found only around New Zealand but whose population had dwindled to 7,000 from 30,000 because of nylon fishing nets used by fishermen since the 1970s.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People