Icahn buys 14 million shares in Herbalife, eyes options for company
By Svea Herbst-Bayliss | February 15, 2013 10:49 AM EST
Carl Icahn on Thursday put his money where his mouth is.
The billionaire investor said in a regulatory filing that he owns 14 million shares, or 13 percent, of weight-loss and vitamin company Herbalife Ltd.
After weeks of speculation over exactly what the famed corporate raider might be doing, Icahn spoke up and put himself on a collision course with William Ackman, a rival activist investor who called Herbalife a house of cards and said he sees the share price going to zero.
The two men famously tussled on cable television in late January when Icahn called Ackman a "major loser" and warned him of trouble ahead in the form of a major short squeeze.
Herbalife's share price surged 20.6 percent in the wake of Icahn's filing, trading at $46.15 after the market closed.
Icahn said he wants to meet with Herbalife's management "regarding the business and strategic alternatives to enhance shareholder value, such as a recapitalization or a going-private transaction."
The company said: "We welcome all parties who see the same value in Herbalife that we do."
One short squeeze has already occurred, experts said.
(Reporting By Svea Herbst-Bayliss with additional reporting by Martinne Geller and Sam Forgione; Editing by Xavier Briand)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People