Icahn buys 14 million shares in Herbalife, eyes options for company
By Svea Herbst-Bayliss | February 15, 2013 10:49 AM EST
Carl Icahn on Thursday put his money where his mouth is.
The billionaire investor said in a regulatory filing that he owns 14 million shares, or 13 percent, of weight-loss and vitamin company Herbalife Ltd.
After weeks of speculation over exactly what the famed corporate raider might be doing, Icahn spoke up and put himself on a collision course with William Ackman, a rival activist investor who called Herbalife a house of cards and said he sees the share price going to zero.
The two men famously tussled on cable television in late January when Icahn called Ackman a "major loser" and warned him of trouble ahead in the form of a major short squeeze.
Herbalife's share price surged 20.6 percent in the wake of Icahn's filing, trading at $46.15 after the market closed.
Icahn said he wants to meet with Herbalife's management "regarding the business and strategic alternatives to enhance shareholder value, such as a recapitalization or a going-private transaction."
The company said: "We welcome all parties who see the same value in Herbalife that we do."
One short squeeze has already occurred, experts said.
(Reporting By Svea Herbst-Bayliss with additional reporting by Martinne Geller and Sam Forgione; Editing by Xavier Briand)
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers