2012 DA14 Near Earth Asteroid Image Caught by Australian Astronomer, Watch Sky 4.30am AEDT Feb 16
By Arlene Paredes | February 15, 2013 10:40 AM EST
An amateur astronomer from Australia has caught a preview image of the near-Earth asteroid 2012 DA14 on Feb 13. If you are a stargazing enthusiast and you have instruments for space observation, you might want to wake up early on Feb. 16 to watch the sky from 4:30am (AEDT).
When asteroid 2012 DA14 comes closest to Earth, it will be about 17,200 miles (27,700 kilometers) above the surface. In contrast, the moon is over 240,000 miles away. The asteroid is relatively very close, but "2012 DA14 is expected to fly safely by the Earth," NASA said.
News of a near-Earth asteroid can potentially cause anxiety, but NASA clarified this weekend's close shave with 2012 DA14 will be "harmless." Meanwhile, experts are suggesting an early wakeup call for stargazing Aussies on Feb. 16. Those with binoculars or space observation instruments can look under the Southern Cross or Crux constellation from 4.30am AEDT. You can also watch the asteroid online.
2012 DA14 Asteroid Watch: Guide for Australians
An image of the near-Earth asteroid 2012 DA14 was caught by an Australian amateur astronomer. The image above was submitted to NASA by Australian amateur astronomer Dave Herald of Murrumbateman. Herald took an image of asteroid 2012 DA14 as a barely distinguishable speck in the space. The image is an overlay of 12 one-minute exposures. Asteroid DA14 is the small dot at the center of the frame. The white streaks are stars trailed in relation to the motion of the asteroid. At the time, the asteroid was 770,000 miles (1.2 million kilometers) away. It was taken just past midnight (AEDT) on Feb. 13, 2013 (Feb. 12 morning in the United States).
WHEN: At what time will near Earth asteroid 2012 DA14 be closest to the planet?
Asteroid 2012 DA14 will be closest to planet Earth on Feb. 15 at about 19:24 GMT (Feb. 16, 6:24 am AEDT), when it will be at a distance of about 27,700 km. (17,200 miles) above the Earth's surface.
The weekend flyby of asteroid 2012 DA14 is the closest-ever predicted approach to Earth for an object of its size.
Want to hear a lecture on 2012 DA14? Tune in to NASA
Scientists, amateur astronomers and stargazers are expected to observe as closely as possible the asteroid passibg by Earth Friday. The 150-foot-wide (45 meters) asteroid 2012 DA14 will be just 17,200 miles (27,000 kilometers) from Earth
NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena will be discussing the asteroid from 11 a.m. PST via NASA TV. The talk will be streamed live online at this link.
VIDEO: Record-Setting Asteroid Flyby (ScienceAtNASA)
"I wonder how many superstitious [people] that were afraid of the Mayan Apocalypse know about DA14? Ignorance is not only bliss,but sadly popular," reads one comment on YouTube.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People