Malaysians Say No to PM in Psy Concert; Should Politics and Music Mix? (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 15, 2013 9:42 AM EST
Korean YouTube sensation Psy held a Chinese Lunar New Year concert in Penang, Malaysia on Feb 11. While the government-controlled newspaper, The Star, reported on Wednesday on its front page the success of the Gangnam Style singer's concert, it kept quiet about an embarrassing incident involving the Muslim country's prime minister, Najib Razak.
Mr Razak, who is up for reelection in mid-2013, served as the emcee of the concert held at the Han Chiang High School in Penang Province. When he thrice asked the crowd if they were ready for Psy, the audience shouted, "Yes!"
However, when he asked them three times if they are ready for BN, referring to Bansan Nasional, the crowed replied, "No." Bansan Nasional is a major political coalition in Malaysia chaired by Mr Razak..
Some of the audience took video shots of the incident and posted it immediately on YouTube, which has become viral with at least 100,000 hits.
The loud "No" is seen as an indicator of the result of Malaysia's general election which must be held before June 27, 2013.
Celebrities on political campaigns have long been strategies of electoral candidates in different parts of the world. However, many of the audience in concerts prefer not to include politics, which explains why Madonna was booed in October 2012 when she pitched a vote for then reelectionist President Barack Obama in her New Orleans concert.
What irritated fans of the Material Girl was her infamous line, "I don't care who you vote for as long as you vote for Obama." After the boos, she added, "Seriously, I don't care who you vote for . . . Do not take this privilege for granted. Go vote."
Politics and celebrities mixing is not new in the Philippines, having had a former B movie actor as a president, who was kicked out of office in 2000 for corruption. Past campaigns often featured movie stars and singers performing in political sorties
and celebrities endorsing their favoured candidates.
Ahead of the 2013 election, pre-campaign materials featuring singer Sarah Geronimo endorsing Senator Edgardo Angara and his son, Congressman Sonny Angara, are airing on Philippine television, similar to the one she made in 2007 for the same politician.
Psy, apparently aware of the tainted image of politicians, did not share the stage with the Malaysian PM, but wowed the Malaysian audience with his rendition of his hit song Gangnam Style and other songs as well.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet