Maritime Shippers Send Increasing Numbers of Cargo Vessels Through The Arctic As Global Warming Causes Sea Ice To Recede (PHOTO)
February 15, 2013 7:34 AM EST
Governments with borders along the Arctic Circle and major global maritime shippers are scrambling to take advantage of the relatively recent opportunity to move cargo across the top of the world.
Check out this map. It used to be that the Arctic sea ice extended as far as the area covered in both blue and pink. In other words, the extent of the ice was so great that it was not possible for freighters to sail along the northern coast of Russia or the northern coasts of Alaska and Canada.
But with global warming, that's all changed. Now the Arctic sea ice only extends as far as the area marked in blue, opening up two routes for shippers moving large cargo vessels around the world.
One route, marked in green on the map and known as the Northwest Passage, connects Alaska with Greenland and the North Atlantic Ocean. Another route, marked in orange on the map and known as the Northern Sea Route, connects the North Sea, Scandinavia and Siberia.
Shippers that once had to route their freighters around the Cape of Good Hope, Cape Horn or the Panama Canal can now chart a course across the top of the planet and save as many as 30 days, a cost savings worth millions. In fact, it is now possible to sail around the world and remain above the Arctic Circle for nearly the entire voyage, the only exception being the need to sail around the southern tip of Greenland.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage