Zenit 2-0 Liverpool: Suarez Misses Prove Costly as Russians Take Control
By Adrian Back | February 15, 2013 5:50 AM EST
Liverpool's chances of qualifying for the last 16 of the Europa League were considerably reduced in Russia after Zenit St. Petersburg secured a 2-0 win thanks to goals from Brazilian forward Hulk and midfielder Sergei Semak.
In what has become Liverpool's last chance of claiming some silverware, Luis Suarez was the main culprit as he failed to hit the target despite being presented with four opportunities to open the scoring before Hulk blasted home from 25 yards.
The Reds immediately found themselves on the back foot as Zenit, who were playing their first competitive fixture since December 10, had a great opportunity to take an early lead when Hulk found space inside the area but his shot produced a fine save from Pepe Reina.
In a lively first quarter of an hour, Liverpool could have taken the lead after a poor pass from Nicolas Lombaerts was latched on to by Suarez who raced clear and went round the keeper only for the defender to atone for his mistake and dispossess the striker.
Suarez was Liverpool's main threat but it was Reina who was much the busier. Fortunately for Brendan Rodgers even when the Spaniard was beaten by a mishit shot from Hulk the ball cannoned into the post and Liverpool remained on level terms.
Playing the lone striker role Suarez once again went close as Joe Allen's cross found Raheem Sterling and the young winger squared for Suarez to attempt an outrageous flick which beat Vyacheslav Malafeev but went agonisingly wide.
On a bobbly surface that made it difficult for passes to be strung together it was a brilliant run from Glen Johnson just after half-time that almost handed Liverpool the lead but his shot was smothered by Malafeev.
A scrappy period of play followed as both sides were guilty of giving the ball away but it was Suarez who once again went close just after the hour mark.
Liverpool managed to work the ball forward at pace as Downing played it straight into the path of the Uruguayan who looked to curl it home from the edge of the area but it slid agonisingly past he post.
Suarez's misses then proved costly after a sensational goal from Hulk. The Brazilian latched onto the ball 30 yards from goal then took one touch before firing an unstoppable left-foot shot right into the top corner.
Just a matter of minutes later it was 2-0 after a curling cross to the back post cannot be cut out by Martin Skrtel and Semak has the simple task of poking the ball past a helpless Reina.
Suarez did eventually get one shot on target but his free-kick was easily saved and Rodgers decided he needed to bring on some extra cover in midfield, in the form of Lucas Leiva, to make sure no further punishment was delivered.
Liverpool will now have to produce another of those sensational European nights at Anfield in order to turn this tie around as they look to salvage their disappointing season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports