Zenit 2-0 Liverpool: Suarez Misses Prove Costly as Russians Take Control
By Adrian Back | February 15, 2013 5:50 AM EST
Liverpool's chances of qualifying for the last 16 of the Europa League were considerably reduced in Russia after Zenit St. Petersburg secured a 2-0 win thanks to goals from Brazilian forward Hulk and midfielder Sergei Semak.
In what has become Liverpool's last chance of claiming some silverware, Luis Suarez was the main culprit as he failed to hit the target despite being presented with four opportunities to open the scoring before Hulk blasted home from 25 yards.
The Reds immediately found themselves on the back foot as Zenit, who were playing their first competitive fixture since December 10, had a great opportunity to take an early lead when Hulk found space inside the area but his shot produced a fine save from Pepe Reina.
In a lively first quarter of an hour, Liverpool could have taken the lead after a poor pass from Nicolas Lombaerts was latched on to by Suarez who raced clear and went round the keeper only for the defender to atone for his mistake and dispossess the striker.
Suarez was Liverpool's main threat but it was Reina who was much the busier. Fortunately for Brendan Rodgers even when the Spaniard was beaten by a mishit shot from Hulk the ball cannoned into the post and Liverpool remained on level terms.
Playing the lone striker role Suarez once again went close as Joe Allen's cross found Raheem Sterling and the young winger squared for Suarez to attempt an outrageous flick which beat Vyacheslav Malafeev but went agonisingly wide.
On a bobbly surface that made it difficult for passes to be strung together it was a brilliant run from Glen Johnson just after half-time that almost handed Liverpool the lead but his shot was smothered by Malafeev.
A scrappy period of play followed as both sides were guilty of giving the ball away but it was Suarez who once again went close just after the hour mark.
Liverpool managed to work the ball forward at pace as Downing played it straight into the path of the Uruguayan who looked to curl it home from the edge of the area but it slid agonisingly past he post.
Suarez's misses then proved costly after a sensational goal from Hulk. The Brazilian latched onto the ball 30 yards from goal then took one touch before firing an unstoppable left-foot shot right into the top corner.
Just a matter of minutes later it was 2-0 after a curling cross to the back post cannot be cut out by Martin Skrtel and Semak has the simple task of poking the ball past a helpless Reina.
Suarez did eventually get one shot on target but his free-kick was easily saved and Rodgers decided he needed to bring on some extra cover in midfield, in the form of Lucas Leiva, to make sure no further punishment was delivered.
Liverpool will now have to produce another of those sensational European nights at Anfield in order to turn this tie around as they look to salvage their disappointing season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon