Zenit 2-0 Liverpool: Suarez Misses Prove Costly as Russians Take Control
By Adrian Back | February 15, 2013 5:50 AM EST
Liverpool's chances of qualifying for the last 16 of the Europa League were considerably reduced in Russia after Zenit St. Petersburg secured a 2-0 win thanks to goals from Brazilian forward Hulk and midfielder Sergei Semak.
In what has become Liverpool's last chance of claiming some silverware, Luis Suarez was the main culprit as he failed to hit the target despite being presented with four opportunities to open the scoring before Hulk blasted home from 25 yards.
The Reds immediately found themselves on the back foot as Zenit, who were playing their first competitive fixture since December 10, had a great opportunity to take an early lead when Hulk found space inside the area but his shot produced a fine save from Pepe Reina.
In a lively first quarter of an hour, Liverpool could have taken the lead after a poor pass from Nicolas Lombaerts was latched on to by Suarez who raced clear and went round the keeper only for the defender to atone for his mistake and dispossess the striker.
Suarez was Liverpool's main threat but it was Reina who was much the busier. Fortunately for Brendan Rodgers even when the Spaniard was beaten by a mishit shot from Hulk the ball cannoned into the post and Liverpool remained on level terms.
Playing the lone striker role Suarez once again went close as Joe Allen's cross found Raheem Sterling and the young winger squared for Suarez to attempt an outrageous flick which beat Vyacheslav Malafeev but went agonisingly wide.
On a bobbly surface that made it difficult for passes to be strung together it was a brilliant run from Glen Johnson just after half-time that almost handed Liverpool the lead but his shot was smothered by Malafeev.
A scrappy period of play followed as both sides were guilty of giving the ball away but it was Suarez who once again went close just after the hour mark.
Liverpool managed to work the ball forward at pace as Downing played it straight into the path of the Uruguayan who looked to curl it home from the edge of the area but it slid agonisingly past he post.
Suarez's misses then proved costly after a sensational goal from Hulk. The Brazilian latched onto the ball 30 yards from goal then took one touch before firing an unstoppable left-foot shot right into the top corner.
Just a matter of minutes later it was 2-0 after a curling cross to the back post cannot be cut out by Martin Skrtel and Semak has the simple task of poking the ball past a helpless Reina.
Suarez did eventually get one shot on target but his free-kick was easily saved and Rodgers decided he needed to bring on some extra cover in midfield, in the form of Lucas Leiva, to make sure no further punishment was delivered.
Liverpool will now have to produce another of those sensational European nights at Anfield in order to turn this tie around as they look to salvage their disappointing season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate