Michael Kors' Taxicab Yellow And Neon Orange A Nod To New Yorkers' Style At New York Fashion Week [PHOTOS, VIDEO]
By Nadine DeNinno | February 15, 2013 5:40 AM EST
From the designer who oft finds inspiration through travel, designer Michael Kors instead used New Yorkers as his muses for his Fall 2013 collection at New York Fashion Week, with a vibe he called "urban athleticism meets uptown polish" in his notes. According to Stye.com, the designer even directed models to be "fast-paced, athletic, and chic," a la New York. "You race all over from the Lower East to the Upper East Side…Make them die with envy!"
Kors drew inspiration from his color palette right off the streets of New York City, with an eclectic mix of neon orange, taxicab yellow and royal blue juxtaposed with white and hints of olive and charcoal. But of course, a collection channeling a typical New Yorker's wardrobe would not be complete without tons of basic black and charcoal to balance these electric hues, which had some critics, like Cathy Horyn of The New York Times, divided.
"At first I raised a big fat eyebrow at Michael Kors's athletic romp — well, it was 10:30 a.m. and who can look at taxi-yellow serge at that hour?" she wrote. "Or a mink coat in bright blue camouflage. But then I decided it was all a pretty great sendup to just about everything that beats and honks in New York."
Much of the collection -- both for looks with and without color -- was balanced through minimalism with a focus on sleek structures. Some silhouettes had waists nipped in by bold belts and a few metallic accents here and there for good measure. For men, it was all about the overcoat, with oversized jackets and larger pockets to match. Moto tailoring, dramatically exposed zippers and leather detailing paired with elegant leather gloves added to the edge of the collection without subjecting its glamour, or what Kors called "urbane sportif."
One noticeable aspect of the show was that it appeared Kors used Fall as an extension of the Spring 2013 season, reminiscent through the oversized ski-like googles and the way the color palette was arranged. This time around, Kors replaced the stripes and hints of 1960's mod of Spring with his urban camouflage, most luxuriously in mink, and dogstooth checks nestled between the pops of color for Fall.
But the neon brights weren't nearly as show-stopping as the final look modeled by Karlie Kloss: an entire dress made out of glimmering crystals with a black peplum overskirt with a long train. In fact, there were multiple versions of this mini dress with a long peplum train, popularized by Raf Simons of Dior, in Kors' poppy yellow, orange and blue.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rumer Willis Racy Side, Bruce Willis' Daughter Flaunts Side Boob In Loose Grey Top
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Raids Kylie Jenner's Closet And Gets Inspiration From Her Other Sister's Outfits
- Kendall And Kylie Jenner Included In Time Magazine's Most Influential Teenagers [PHOTOS]
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Hire A Tailor And Stylist For Baby North
- Kendall Jenner Not Interested In Dating: 'She isn't interested in becoming one half of a power couple'
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks