Michael Kors' Taxicab Yellow And Neon Orange A Nod To New Yorkers' Style At New York Fashion Week [PHOTOS, VIDEO]
By Nadine DeNinno | February 15, 2013 5:40 AM EST
From the designer who oft finds inspiration through travel, designer Michael Kors instead used New Yorkers as his muses for his Fall 2013 collection at New York Fashion Week, with a vibe he called "urban athleticism meets uptown polish" in his notes. According to Stye.com, the designer even directed models to be "fast-paced, athletic, and chic," a la New York. "You race all over from the Lower East to the Upper East Side…Make them die with envy!"
Kors drew inspiration from his color palette right off the streets of New York City, with an eclectic mix of neon orange, taxicab yellow and royal blue juxtaposed with white and hints of olive and charcoal. But of course, a collection channeling a typical New Yorker's wardrobe would not be complete without tons of basic black and charcoal to balance these electric hues, which had some critics, like Cathy Horyn of The New York Times, divided.
"At first I raised a big fat eyebrow at Michael Kors's athletic romp — well, it was 10:30 a.m. and who can look at taxi-yellow serge at that hour?" she wrote. "Or a mink coat in bright blue camouflage. But then I decided it was all a pretty great sendup to just about everything that beats and honks in New York."
Much of the collection -- both for looks with and without color -- was balanced through minimalism with a focus on sleek structures. Some silhouettes had waists nipped in by bold belts and a few metallic accents here and there for good measure. For men, it was all about the overcoat, with oversized jackets and larger pockets to match. Moto tailoring, dramatically exposed zippers and leather detailing paired with elegant leather gloves added to the edge of the collection without subjecting its glamour, or what Kors called "urbane sportif."
One noticeable aspect of the show was that it appeared Kors used Fall as an extension of the Spring 2013 season, reminiscent through the oversized ski-like googles and the way the color palette was arranged. This time around, Kors replaced the stripes and hints of 1960's mod of Spring with his urban camouflage, most luxuriously in mink, and dogstooth checks nestled between the pops of color for Fall.
But the neon brights weren't nearly as show-stopping as the final look modeled by Karlie Kloss: an entire dress made out of glimmering crystals with a black peplum overskirt with a long train. In fact, there were multiple versions of this mini dress with a long peplum train, popularized by Raf Simons of Dior, in Kors' poppy yellow, orange and blue.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rihanna Twerks, Smokes And Shows Off Her Exotic Dance In Skin-Coloured Bikini On A Recent Holiday In Italy
- Beyonce Knowles Goes Topless For New Pictures, Shows Major Cleavage And Legs
- Miley Cyrus Poses Completely Naked In New Shocking Pictures Said That Social Media Is Harmful For Brain
- Adidas has Covered its New Trainers in Mud as Part of Distressed Fashion
- Arthur George By Rob Kardashian Now Available In Colette Paris
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones