Michael Kors' Taxicab Yellow And Neon Orange A Nod To New Yorkers' Style At New York Fashion Week [PHOTOS, VIDEO]
By Nadine DeNinno | February 15, 2013 5:40 AM EST
From the designer who oft finds inspiration through travel, designer Michael Kors instead used New Yorkers as his muses for his Fall 2013 collection at New York Fashion Week, with a vibe he called "urban athleticism meets uptown polish" in his notes. According to Stye.com, the designer even directed models to be "fast-paced, athletic, and chic," a la New York. "You race all over from the Lower East to the Upper East Side…Make them die with envy!"
Kors drew inspiration from his color palette right off the streets of New York City, with an eclectic mix of neon orange, taxicab yellow and royal blue juxtaposed with white and hints of olive and charcoal. But of course, a collection channeling a typical New Yorker's wardrobe would not be complete without tons of basic black and charcoal to balance these electric hues, which had some critics, like Cathy Horyn of The New York Times, divided.
"At first I raised a big fat eyebrow at Michael Kors's athletic romp — well, it was 10:30 a.m. and who can look at taxi-yellow serge at that hour?" she wrote. "Or a mink coat in bright blue camouflage. But then I decided it was all a pretty great sendup to just about everything that beats and honks in New York."
Much of the collection -- both for looks with and without color -- was balanced through minimalism with a focus on sleek structures. Some silhouettes had waists nipped in by bold belts and a few metallic accents here and there for good measure. For men, it was all about the overcoat, with oversized jackets and larger pockets to match. Moto tailoring, dramatically exposed zippers and leather detailing paired with elegant leather gloves added to the edge of the collection without subjecting its glamour, or what Kors called "urbane sportif."
One noticeable aspect of the show was that it appeared Kors used Fall as an extension of the Spring 2013 season, reminiscent through the oversized ski-like googles and the way the color palette was arranged. This time around, Kors replaced the stripes and hints of 1960's mod of Spring with his urban camouflage, most luxuriously in mink, and dogstooth checks nestled between the pops of color for Fall.
But the neon brights weren't nearly as show-stopping as the final look modeled by Karlie Kloss: an entire dress made out of glimmering crystals with a black peplum overskirt with a long train. In fact, there were multiple versions of this mini dress with a long peplum train, popularized by Raf Simons of Dior, in Kors' poppy yellow, orange and blue.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner Joins Cara Delevingne At Fendi Runway For Milan Fashion Week
- Lindsay Lohan Poses In Silk Underwear For Wonderland Magazine, Talks About Her Favourite Fashion Brands, Shares Beauty Tips [SEE VIDEO]
- Kim Kardashian Exposes Butt As She Becomes Victim To Another Wardrobe Malfunction
- Jessica Alba Talks About Her Entrepreneurial Side, Says She Considers Jennifer Lopez As Her Idol
- Post Nude Photo Scandal, Jennifer Lawrence Is 'Powerful' Woman For Dior Campaign, Wears Inspirational Message T-Shirt [SEE VIDEO]
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best