Michael Kors' Taxicab Yellow And Neon Orange A Nod To New Yorkers' Style At New York Fashion Week [PHOTOS, VIDEO]
By Nadine DeNinno | February 15, 2013 5:40 AM EST
From the designer who oft finds inspiration through travel, designer Michael Kors instead used New Yorkers as his muses for his Fall 2013 collection at New York Fashion Week, with a vibe he called "urban athleticism meets uptown polish" in his notes. According to Stye.com, the designer even directed models to be "fast-paced, athletic, and chic," a la New York. "You race all over from the Lower East to the Upper East Side…Make them die with envy!"
Kors drew inspiration from his color palette right off the streets of New York City, with an eclectic mix of neon orange, taxicab yellow and royal blue juxtaposed with white and hints of olive and charcoal. But of course, a collection channeling a typical New Yorker's wardrobe would not be complete without tons of basic black and charcoal to balance these electric hues, which had some critics, like Cathy Horyn of The New York Times, divided.
"At first I raised a big fat eyebrow at Michael Kors's athletic romp — well, it was 10:30 a.m. and who can look at taxi-yellow serge at that hour?" she wrote. "Or a mink coat in bright blue camouflage. But then I decided it was all a pretty great sendup to just about everything that beats and honks in New York."
Much of the collection -- both for looks with and without color -- was balanced through minimalism with a focus on sleek structures. Some silhouettes had waists nipped in by bold belts and a few metallic accents here and there for good measure. For men, it was all about the overcoat, with oversized jackets and larger pockets to match. Moto tailoring, dramatically exposed zippers and leather detailing paired with elegant leather gloves added to the edge of the collection without subjecting its glamour, or what Kors called "urbane sportif."
One noticeable aspect of the show was that it appeared Kors used Fall as an extension of the Spring 2013 season, reminiscent through the oversized ski-like googles and the way the color palette was arranged. This time around, Kors replaced the stripes and hints of 1960's mod of Spring with his urban camouflage, most luxuriously in mink, and dogstooth checks nestled between the pops of color for Fall.
But the neon brights weren't nearly as show-stopping as the final look modeled by Karlie Kloss: an entire dress made out of glimmering crystals with a black peplum overskirt with a long train. In fact, there were multiple versions of this mini dress with a long peplum train, popularized by Raf Simons of Dior, in Kors' poppy yellow, orange and blue.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Real Madrid Unveils Yohji Yamamoto Champions League Kit With Intertwined Dragons
- Kylie Jenner Graces The Cover Of V Magazine's September Issue
- Miranda Kerr Goes Double Denim: New Pictures Released For Her '7 For All Mankind' Campaign [SEE VIDEO]
- Kylie Jenner Says She Never Remembers A Day In Her Life Without Cameras, Lands On 'Girlfriend' Magazine Cover
- Lindsay Lohan Lands On 'Wonderland' Cover To Celebrate A Decade Of 'Mean Girls'; Is Set To Make Her Theatre Debut
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown