Deepwater Horizon: Transocean Fined $400m for BP Oil Spill Pollution
By Shane Croucher | February 15, 2013 3:49 AM EST
Transocean Deepwater Inc has been convicted of breaching clean water laws for its part in the Deepwater Horizon oil rig disaster in the Gulf of Mexico in April 2010.
The firm, which owned the drilling platform that exploded, killing 11 rig workers and leaking five million barrels of oil from BP's Macondo well into the ocean, was ordered by a US federal judge to pay $400m to settle criminal charges, reported NOLA.com.
The company will also serve a five-year probation period after pleading guilty to breaking the Clean Water Act. Transocean has already agreed to a separate $1.4bn in civil and criminal penalties with the Department of Justice.
The fine follows a $4.5bn settlement by BP, the largest in US history, for its role in the disaster, which devastated the environment and bird, fish and animal life. It took three months to plug the leaking well.
Within the fine were $1.25bn in criminal penalties, $2.4bn to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, a $525m civil penalty to the Securities and Exchange Commission and a $350m payment to the National Academy of Science.
BP had already agreed in 2012 to pay $7.8bn to cover the economic, property and pollution-related damages linked to what has been called the worst environmental disaster in US history. It may face a further $21bn payout in another civil case over claims that it broke the same clean water laws as Transocean.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones