Deepwater Horizon: Transocean Fined $400m for BP Oil Spill Pollution
By Shane Croucher | February 15, 2013 3:49 AM EST
Transocean Deepwater Inc has been convicted of breaching clean water laws for its part in the Deepwater Horizon oil rig disaster in the Gulf of Mexico in April 2010.
The firm, which owned the drilling platform that exploded, killing 11 rig workers and leaking five million barrels of oil from BP's Macondo well into the ocean, was ordered by a US federal judge to pay $400m to settle criminal charges, reported NOLA.com.
The company will also serve a five-year probation period after pleading guilty to breaking the Clean Water Act. Transocean has already agreed to a separate $1.4bn in civil and criminal penalties with the Department of Justice.
The fine follows a $4.5bn settlement by BP, the largest in US history, for its role in the disaster, which devastated the environment and bird, fish and animal life. It took three months to plug the leaking well.
Within the fine were $1.25bn in criminal penalties, $2.4bn to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, a $525m civil penalty to the Securities and Exchange Commission and a $350m payment to the National Academy of Science.
BP had already agreed in 2012 to pay $7.8bn to cover the economic, property and pollution-related damages linked to what has been called the worst environmental disaster in US history. It may face a further $21bn payout in another civil case over claims that it broke the same clean water laws as Transocean.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase