Katie Couric Prank Call From Jay Monahan's Phone Sends NYPD To Talk Show Host's Home At 2 A.M. [PHOTO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 15, 2013 3:28 AM EST
Katie Couric is the latest victim of creepy prank calling, but not in the way that some may think. According to the New York Daily News, her late husband's phone has been making 911 calls and sending police to her home.
Couric explained the strange situation to her talk show audience on Tuesday saying, every Tuesday at 2 a.m., a phone registered to Jay Monahan dials 911 and a police officer responds to her Park Ave. home.
While Most of the calls have come in when Couric has been out of town, “it’s happened like three times the last three weeks,” Couric told the audience.
“Every day, every time at 2 a.m. on Tuesday morning. I was out of town the last time it happened and apparently it happened before when nobody was home,” she said.
Police are investigating whether someone is using a device to hijack Couric’s phone and call 911, an illegal trick authorities refer to as “spoofing,” the Daily News reports.
Couric explained to the audience that after the bizarre call, she wasn’t able to fall back to sleep for several hours. She tossed and turned until around 4:30 a.m.
Tuesday’s taping reportedly started late and Couric seemed tired, a second audience member, Patricia Edwards, told the Daily News.
“When Katie came out, she apologized and said, ‘I’m very sorry there was a delay.’”
She went on to say that she informed Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.
“So I called Ray Kelly, who I know just through the years seeing at different things. ‘Ray, this is so weird but can you help me? I don’t know what to do,’” Couric said, according to a member of the audience, as cited by NYDN.
Last month, after heavily armed police responded to calls of shots fired at the mansion of Bruce and Kris Jenner, Kardashian blasted the scheme as “dangerous” and posting on Twitter, “These prank calls are NOT funny!”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles