Henry Reveals Ambition to Return to Arsenal
By Vanessa Keller | February 15, 2013 1:35 AM EST
Thierry Henry insists he still wants to return to Arsenal when he leaves New York Red Bulls, even if it is in a coaching capacity.
Henry became a legend at the north London club after becoming Arsenal's leading ever goalscorer before making the decision to leave in 2007 to join Barcelona, before then signing a lucrative deal to join the Major League Soccer outfit.
While Arsenal took the 35 year old back on loan in 2012, and came close to agreeing another temporary deal in 2013, Henry says his heart will always be in north London and he wants to return whenever he can.
"All I know is that I will be involved in the game and hopefully be involved with Arsenal, because that is the heart talking there, that's the team I support," he said, according to the Mirror.
"Forget about me as a player, that's the team I support. If I can go back to the club, I would love to do it, but it's not up to me.
"It's more a desire than something that can be officialised.
"I still have two years playing here [in New York] and then I will see. But I would definitely love to be back with Arsenal."
Since Henry left Arsenal, the side have failed to win a major trophy, with criticism slowly starting to mount around Arsene Wenger.
But the France international insists his former manager is the best in the business, and will lead Arsenal back to their glory days as he rebuilds a side who have lost a host of stars over the years.
"When you don't win, people are always going to question your work, your legacy and what you did before," he explained. "It is sad, but that is the way the game is.
"It is difficult to hear, difficult to see, but for me the boss will always be Arsene - he's always great for me and I know what he has done for the club.
"You are always going to get judged on your last performance or what you are doing at the moment.
"But it is kind of hard to criticise Arsene Wenger, knowing how he has changed the club and how the team is playing right now compared to how the team was playing before.
"But if you don't win, people are always going to create a problem."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports