Jerome Sinclair Stars as Liverpool Progress in the FA Youth Cup
By Adrian Back | February 15, 2013 12:51 AM EST
Brendan Rodgers may be struggling for results with the Liverpool first team but that has certainly not been the case for the club's various academy sides, as Jerome Sinclair helped the club progress to the fifth round of the FA Youth Cup by scoring with a cheeky back-heel.
Sinclair became the youngster player ever to represent Liverpool earlier this season when he was brought on against West Brom in a League Cup tie aged just 16 years and six days.
Having been born in Birmingham and started his footballing education at West Brom, Sinclair moved to the Liverpool academy as a 14-year-old and quickly made an impression as he broke into the Under-18 side.
The young striker has continued to excel at youth level and scored the second goal as Liverpool secured a 4-0 win over Histon to safely navigate their way through to the next stage of the FA Youth Cup.
Sinclair's goal came just minutes into the second half when the ball bobbled in the six yard box and the striker instinctively decided to try and audacious back-heel which caught the keeper by surprise and handed Liverpool a 2-0 lead.
Kristoffer Peterson gave Steve Cooper's side the lead on 17 minutes, while a brilliant strike from Jack Dunn made it 3-0 before Daniel Trickett-Smith made sure of the win as he slotted home a fourth.
Liverpool's youth sides have enjoyed plenty of success this season with their NextGen side making it through to the knockout stages of the competition where they will now face Sporting Lisbon on February 20.
The Under-21 side has also had been in impressive form as they qualified for the elite group of the Premier League by finishing the first half of the season as the only unbeaten side in the country.
They did lose their first game of the current campaign to Tottenham earlier this week but Rodgers will be hoping that the youth sides continue to excel and produce more players capable of making the transition to the first team squad.
See all the goals below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown