United's Madrid Saviour Commits Future
By Nick Howson | February 15, 2013 12:33 AM EST
Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea wants to stay at the club despite Sir Alex Ferguson being reportedly ready to replace the Spanish goalkeeper.
De Gea produced two excellent saves to deny Fabio Coentrao at the Bernabeu on Wednesday as United salvaged an away goal in a 1-1 draw with Real Madrid.
United were linked with a move for Stoke City goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, but De Gea, who produced what is widely accepted as his best performance since move to the Premier League leaders against Madrid, has no plans to leave the club.
"I am very happy in Manchester. Every day I am happier," De Gea said.
"Stopping to Coentrao? That was just a very quick decision. I was acting on instinct.
"Real Madrid will attack at Old Trafford. They know they have to win to advance and we will do our best to stop them."
De Gea, playing in Madrid for the first time since his move from neighbours Atletico in the summer of 2011, also saved from Cristiano Ronaldo and Sami Khedira in the second half, with manager Sir Alex Ferguson leading the praise for the Spain under-21 international, hailing his rapid improvement.
"David was excellent and produced three or four really top saves," said Ferguson. "He's improving all the time.
"I'm pleased for the boy. This is a difficult place to come and we would have taken 1-1 before the game."
"He is maturing all the time and he has showed that. He has come to Madrid with a lot of pressure on him, being from Atletico, and he has produced the goods."
Second half substitute Ryan Giggs added: "It's good for him to come back to Madrid and put in such a good performance. He is a top keeper and his shot stopping is second to none."
United take on Madrid in the second leg of the Champions League last 16 tie on 5 March at Old Trafford.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop