United's Madrid Saviour Commits Future
By Nick Howson | February 15, 2013 12:33 AM EST
Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea wants to stay at the club despite Sir Alex Ferguson being reportedly ready to replace the Spanish goalkeeper.
De Gea produced two excellent saves to deny Fabio Coentrao at the Bernabeu on Wednesday as United salvaged an away goal in a 1-1 draw with Real Madrid.
United were linked with a move for Stoke City goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, but De Gea, who produced what is widely accepted as his best performance since move to the Premier League leaders against Madrid, has no plans to leave the club.
"I am very happy in Manchester. Every day I am happier," De Gea said.
"Stopping to Coentrao? That was just a very quick decision. I was acting on instinct.
"Real Madrid will attack at Old Trafford. They know they have to win to advance and we will do our best to stop them."
De Gea, playing in Madrid for the first time since his move from neighbours Atletico in the summer of 2011, also saved from Cristiano Ronaldo and Sami Khedira in the second half, with manager Sir Alex Ferguson leading the praise for the Spain under-21 international, hailing his rapid improvement.
"David was excellent and produced three or four really top saves," said Ferguson. "He's improving all the time.
"I'm pleased for the boy. This is a difficult place to come and we would have taken 1-1 before the game."
"He is maturing all the time and he has showed that. He has come to Madrid with a lot of pressure on him, being from Atletico, and he has produced the goods."
Second half substitute Ryan Giggs added: "It's good for him to come back to Madrid and put in such a good performance. He is a top keeper and his shot stopping is second to none."
United take on Madrid in the second leg of the Champions League last 16 tie on 5 March at Old Trafford.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia