United's Madrid Saviour Commits Future
By Nick Howson | February 15, 2013 12:33 AM EST
Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea wants to stay at the club despite Sir Alex Ferguson being reportedly ready to replace the Spanish goalkeeper.
De Gea produced two excellent saves to deny Fabio Coentrao at the Bernabeu on Wednesday as United salvaged an away goal in a 1-1 draw with Real Madrid.
United were linked with a move for Stoke City goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, but De Gea, who produced what is widely accepted as his best performance since move to the Premier League leaders against Madrid, has no plans to leave the club.
"I am very happy in Manchester. Every day I am happier," De Gea said.
"Stopping to Coentrao? That was just a very quick decision. I was acting on instinct.
"Real Madrid will attack at Old Trafford. They know they have to win to advance and we will do our best to stop them."
De Gea, playing in Madrid for the first time since his move from neighbours Atletico in the summer of 2011, also saved from Cristiano Ronaldo and Sami Khedira in the second half, with manager Sir Alex Ferguson leading the praise for the Spain under-21 international, hailing his rapid improvement.
"David was excellent and produced three or four really top saves," said Ferguson. "He's improving all the time.
"I'm pleased for the boy. This is a difficult place to come and we would have taken 1-1 before the game."
"He is maturing all the time and he has showed that. He has come to Madrid with a lot of pressure on him, being from Atletico, and he has produced the goods."
Second half substitute Ryan Giggs added: "It's good for him to come back to Madrid and put in such a good performance. He is a top keeper and his shot stopping is second to none."
United take on Madrid in the second leg of the Champions League last 16 tie on 5 March at Old Trafford.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More