Oscar Pistorius Charged With Murdering Girlfriend: Was It a Case of Valentine's Day Surprise Gone Wrong? [PHOTOS]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 15, 2013 12:30 AM EST
South African Olympic and Paralympic track star Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murder after reportedly shooting his girlfriend dead at his home in Pretoria on Thursday morning.
Media reports suggested that the athlete, who is known as the "Blade Runner" for his racing prosthetics, might have mistaken his girlfriend for a burglar and shot her in the head, chest and arm while she was attempting to play Valentine's Day surprise on him.
Johannesburg's Talk Radio 702 said Oscar Pistorius might have mistakenly shot his girlfriend thinking that she was a burglar, but police are surprised by the "Valentine's Day surprise gone wrong" theory.
The police have filed a murder case after a 30-year-old woman was found shot dead at Pistorius' home in Pretoria, Supmarket Silverlakes. Police spokeswoman Katlego Mogale said a 9 mm pistol had been recovered from the scene and a 26-year-old man was taken into custody.
"There are witnesses and they have been interviewed this morning. We are talking about neighbors and people that heard things earlier in the evening and when the shooting took place," Reuters quoted police brigadier Denise Beukes as saying.
Oscar Pistorius, who made history at London Games 2012 after becoming the first amputee sprinter to compete in the Olympics, running in the 400m and 4x400m relay, was supposed to appear before the Pretoria Magistrate Court at 6:30 pm IST (12:00 PM GMT) on Thursday but the hearing has been reportedly postponed to Friday.
The South African police have not revealed the identity of the victim but reliable sources said that it is Pistorius' 30-year-old model girlfriend Reeva Steenkampa.
"We can confirm that Reeva Steenkamp has passed away. We are in communication with people on the scene, please wait for official statements, as there is too much speculation at this moment in time. We will provide further information as soon as we are able to provide accurate information as to what transpired. Our thoughts and prayers go to the Steenkamp family, who have asked to have their privacy respected during this difficult time, everyone is simply devastated. She was the kindest, sweetest human being; an angel on earth and will be sorely missed," The Telegraph quoted a statement from Reeva Steenkamp's PR agency.
Reeva Steenkamp, who was dating Pistorius for a year, grew up in Port Elizabeth, where she did law, before moving to Johannesburg to pursue her modeling dream. She had featured in several commercials and featured in FHM cover. She also featured in the entertainment show, 'Tropika Island of Treasure', which was due for broadcast this weekend.
The young model fatefully tweeted about Valentine's Day, a day before she was shot death: "What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow???"
(With Inputs from Reuters)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia