Chelsea Or United? Players Weigh In On Mourinho’s Future
By Vanessa Keller | February 14, 2013 11:39 PM EST
There is a growing belief that the Special One will look to return to the Premier League, a view that is shared by former United striker Michael Owen and Madrid man Ivan Campo, but the ex-Real Madrid men cannot agree on which club he will take over next.
Owen, who currently plays for Stoke after leaving United last summer, believes that Mourinho is the only realistic replacement for Sir Alex Ferguson, despite the Portuguese tactician's protests as to otherwise when quizzed on the subject this week.
"Once Sir Alex Ferguson hangs up his boots there aren't many managers that are big enough to fill the void left by him," he told Talksport. "You would have to say that Jose Mourinho is one of those few.
"He's been there, seen it and done it before. His CV is second to none. He's got the confidence to step into that dressing room and feel he belonged there.
"He'd be one of those select few that have the credentials to take over from Sir Alex Ferguson."
Meanwhile, former Real Madrid midfielder Campo does not believe that Mourinho would take over at Old Trafford, believing that he would prefer to return to London to take over at either Chelsea or Tottenham.
"If Jose Mourinho wins the Champions League, in my personal opinion, next year he will be at a very big team in the Premier League, maybe with Chelsea, or, I don't know, Tottenham," he explained.
"I don't think, for example, he'd go to Manchester United because Sir Alex Ferguson would like to train there for his whole life, so maybe [Mourinho] will train next year at Chelsea."
Mourinho would no doubt have his pick of clubs to go to if he left Real Madrid, though recently the 50 year old appears to have lost the harmony in the dressing room at his current club, with numerous reports of unrest from players.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown