Chelsea Or United? Players Weigh In On Mourinho’s Future
By Vanessa Keller | February 14, 2013 11:39 PM EST
There is a growing belief that the Special One will look to return to the Premier League, a view that is shared by former United striker Michael Owen and Madrid man Ivan Campo, but the ex-Real Madrid men cannot agree on which club he will take over next.
Owen, who currently plays for Stoke after leaving United last summer, believes that Mourinho is the only realistic replacement for Sir Alex Ferguson, despite the Portuguese tactician's protests as to otherwise when quizzed on the subject this week.
"Once Sir Alex Ferguson hangs up his boots there aren't many managers that are big enough to fill the void left by him," he told Talksport. "You would have to say that Jose Mourinho is one of those few.
"He's been there, seen it and done it before. His CV is second to none. He's got the confidence to step into that dressing room and feel he belonged there.
"He'd be one of those select few that have the credentials to take over from Sir Alex Ferguson."
Meanwhile, former Real Madrid midfielder Campo does not believe that Mourinho would take over at Old Trafford, believing that he would prefer to return to London to take over at either Chelsea or Tottenham.
"If Jose Mourinho wins the Champions League, in my personal opinion, next year he will be at a very big team in the Premier League, maybe with Chelsea, or, I don't know, Tottenham," he explained.
"I don't think, for example, he'd go to Manchester United because Sir Alex Ferguson would like to train there for his whole life, so maybe [Mourinho] will train next year at Chelsea."
Mourinho would no doubt have his pick of clubs to go to if he left Real Madrid, though recently the 50 year old appears to have lost the harmony in the dressing room at his current club, with numerous reports of unrest from players.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air