Arsenal’s Exciting Young Striker Hints At Possible Summer Exit
By Adrian Back | February 14, 2013 11:27 PM EST
Arsenal striker Joel Campbell is enjoying life at Real Betis so much that he admits that he may consider remaining at the club beyond the end of his loan deal with runs out in the summer.
The Costa Rica international has featured in 18 of Betis' 23 league games this season and has helped the club climb to eighth in the league, just three points behind fourth placed Malaga.
Campbell has scored two league goals since joining the club on a season-long loan deal and has admitted that he may have to consider his future in the summer as he has yet to be handed an opportunity at Arsenal.
"To be in a country like Spain, playing in this league, means a lot," Campbell told El Desmarque."I want to keep playing well and keep progressing as footballer. I'll focus until June and see what happens after that.
"I'll give everything on the pitch for Betis and see what happens when the time comes. Arsenal are in charge of what I do. I'd also like to play for them but I'm very comfortable here and I'll defend Betis with all my heart.
"I'm trying to give my all for Betis, they gave me a lot of opportunities."
The 20-year-old was signed by Arsenal in the summer of 2011 but was immediately sent on-loan to Ligue 1 side Lorient after failing to obtain a work permit.
He made 25 appearances for the French side during his season-long loan and managed to score three league goals before once again being shipped out, this time to Spain.
Despite never having the opportunity to demonstrate his ability in the Premier League to this point, Campbell has excelled while playing for his country and has seven goals in his 20 appearances for Costa Rica.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Signs Using Odom’s Surname; Source Reveals Khloe Still ‘Proud’ Of Being Called Mrs. Odom