Ebay to hire another 450 staff in Ireland
February 14, 2013 11:14 PM EST
EBay Inc will hire 450 people in Ireland, the company said on Thursday, almost a year after handing the bailed out country its biggest post-crisis job boost by hiring 1,000 new workers at its payment service PayPal.
Although likely to emerge from its 85 billion euro ($114.21 billion) EU/IMF bailout at the end of this year, Ireland still has one of the highest unemployment rates in Europe, remaining above 14 percent for almost 2-1/2 years.
Ireland's public sector continues to shrink but it has been able to attract the likes of Google and Facebook to Dublin thanks to its low corporate tax rates.
PayPal, which set up a European base in Ireland a decade ago, will add the jobs to its customer services center in the north east county of Dundalk.
"This new announcement is exceptional news for Ireland," Prime Minister Enda Kenny said in a statement.
"Last week's agreement on bank debt will lead to further investment as confidence in the Irish economy continues to grow," he added, referring to the deal struck with the European Central Bank to ease the burden on Ireland's state-owned bank debt.
(Reporting by Padraic Halpin; Editing by Elaine Hardcastle)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS