Ebay to hire another 450 staff in Ireland
February 14, 2013 11:14 PM EST
EBay Inc will hire 450 people in Ireland, the company said on Thursday, almost a year after handing the bailed out country its biggest post-crisis job boost by hiring 1,000 new workers at its payment service PayPal.
Although likely to emerge from its 85 billion euro ($114.21 billion) EU/IMF bailout at the end of this year, Ireland still has one of the highest unemployment rates in Europe, remaining above 14 percent for almost 2-1/2 years.
Ireland's public sector continues to shrink but it has been able to attract the likes of Google and Facebook to Dublin thanks to its low corporate tax rates.
PayPal, which set up a European base in Ireland a decade ago, will add the jobs to its customer services center in the north east county of Dundalk.
"This new announcement is exceptional news for Ireland," Prime Minister Enda Kenny said in a statement.
"Last week's agreement on bank debt will lead to further investment as confidence in the Irish economy continues to grow," he added, referring to the deal struck with the European Central Bank to ease the burden on Ireland's state-owned bank debt.
(Reporting by Padraic Halpin; Editing by Elaine Hardcastle)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year