Zenit St Petersburg v Liverpool, Europa League: Where to Watch Live, Preview and Teams
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 14, 2013 10:34 PM EST
Brendan Rodgers takes his men to Russia as Liverpool face Zenit St Petersburg in the first leg of the clubs' first round knock-out tie in the UEFA Europa League.
Where to Watch
Kick-off is set for 5pm GMT. Live coverage will be available on ITV 4.
The Russian champions failed to qualify for the knock-out stages of the Champions League, which results in them playing in the Europa League. Zenit finished third in their group with seven points, just one point behind second place Malaga. Italian club AC Milan topped Group C. Luciano Spalletti's side are currently third in the Russian Premier Lague with 38 points from 19 games, trailing league leaders CSKA Moscow by five points.
Zenit's home form in Europe so far has been less than impressive, with only one win from three games. The good news for Spalletti is that the defence has been reasonably solid at home, with only five goals conceded in the six group stage games. The problem will be that the club have only scored five times.
Liverpool come into this game after a poor performance in the home defeat to West Brom. Captain Steven Gerrard missed a penalty in the final minutes and was punished after Gareth McAuley and on-loan Chelsea forward Romelu Lukaku scored in the final 10 minutes.
The Reds qualified as winners of Group A and will be confident for this tie because they have had immediate experience of Russian competition; Rodgers saw off the challenge of Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala in the group stages. What will worry the ex-Swansea City boss, though, is the fact the club has not won any of the last four games.
Zenit St Petersburg
- Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): L W W L L
- Last Result: Zenit 0 - 1 BATE Borisov
- Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): L D D L W
- Last Result: Liverpool 0 - 2 West Bromwich Albion
Spalletti has the entire squad for selection as there are no injury worries. January signings Luis Neto and and left-back Milan Rodic are also available for selection. Summer signings Hulk and Axel Witsel are likely to start on Thursday, as the Brazilian international will be leading Zenit's attacking line up.
Probable Line-Up: Malafeev; Anyukov, Lombaerts, Alves, Hubocan; Witsel, Denisov, Shirokov, Fayzulin; Bukharov, Hulk
Liverpool's January signings Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho are ruled out for the tie against Zenit, as they have been involved in the European competition with Chelsea and Inter Milan respectively. Defender Martin Kelly is ruled out for the tie due to injury. Uruguayan international Luis Suarez is likely to lead the Reds attacking line against the Russian champions.
Probable Line-Up: Reina; Wisdom, Carragher, Skrtel, Enrique; Sterling, Shelvey, Allen, Henderson; Borini, Suarez
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports