Zenit St Petersburg v Liverpool, Europa League: Where to Watch Live, Preview and Teams
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 14, 2013 10:34 PM EST
Brendan Rodgers takes his men to Russia as Liverpool face Zenit St Petersburg in the first leg of the clubs' first round knock-out tie in the UEFA Europa League.
Where to Watch
Kick-off is set for 5pm GMT. Live coverage will be available on ITV 4.
The Russian champions failed to qualify for the knock-out stages of the Champions League, which results in them playing in the Europa League. Zenit finished third in their group with seven points, just one point behind second place Malaga. Italian club AC Milan topped Group C. Luciano Spalletti's side are currently third in the Russian Premier Lague with 38 points from 19 games, trailing league leaders CSKA Moscow by five points.
Zenit's home form in Europe so far has been less than impressive, with only one win from three games. The good news for Spalletti is that the defence has been reasonably solid at home, with only five goals conceded in the six group stage games. The problem will be that the club have only scored five times.
Liverpool come into this game after a poor performance in the home defeat to West Brom. Captain Steven Gerrard missed a penalty in the final minutes and was punished after Gareth McAuley and on-loan Chelsea forward Romelu Lukaku scored in the final 10 minutes.
The Reds qualified as winners of Group A and will be confident for this tie because they have had immediate experience of Russian competition; Rodgers saw off the challenge of Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala in the group stages. What will worry the ex-Swansea City boss, though, is the fact the club has not won any of the last four games.
Zenit St Petersburg
- Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): L W W L L
- Last Result: Zenit 0 - 1 BATE Borisov
- Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): L D D L W
- Last Result: Liverpool 0 - 2 West Bromwich Albion
Spalletti has the entire squad for selection as there are no injury worries. January signings Luis Neto and and left-back Milan Rodic are also available for selection. Summer signings Hulk and Axel Witsel are likely to start on Thursday, as the Brazilian international will be leading Zenit's attacking line up.
Probable Line-Up: Malafeev; Anyukov, Lombaerts, Alves, Hubocan; Witsel, Denisov, Shirokov, Fayzulin; Bukharov, Hulk
Liverpool's January signings Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho are ruled out for the tie against Zenit, as they have been involved in the European competition with Chelsea and Inter Milan respectively. Defender Martin Kelly is ruled out for the tie due to injury. Uruguayan international Luis Suarez is likely to lead the Reds attacking line against the Russian champions.
Probable Line-Up: Reina; Wisdom, Carragher, Skrtel, Enrique; Sterling, Shelvey, Allen, Henderson; Borini, Suarez
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories