Zenit St Petersburg v Liverpool, Europa League: Where to Watch Live, Preview and Teams
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 14, 2013 10:34 PM EST
Brendan Rodgers takes his men to Russia as Liverpool face Zenit St Petersburg in the first leg of the clubs' first round knock-out tie in the UEFA Europa League.
Where to Watch
Kick-off is set for 5pm GMT. Live coverage will be available on ITV 4.
The Russian champions failed to qualify for the knock-out stages of the Champions League, which results in them playing in the Europa League. Zenit finished third in their group with seven points, just one point behind second place Malaga. Italian club AC Milan topped Group C. Luciano Spalletti's side are currently third in the Russian Premier Lague with 38 points from 19 games, trailing league leaders CSKA Moscow by five points.
Zenit's home form in Europe so far has been less than impressive, with only one win from three games. The good news for Spalletti is that the defence has been reasonably solid at home, with only five goals conceded in the six group stage games. The problem will be that the club have only scored five times.
Liverpool come into this game after a poor performance in the home defeat to West Brom. Captain Steven Gerrard missed a penalty in the final minutes and was punished after Gareth McAuley and on-loan Chelsea forward Romelu Lukaku scored in the final 10 minutes.
The Reds qualified as winners of Group A and will be confident for this tie because they have had immediate experience of Russian competition; Rodgers saw off the challenge of Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala in the group stages. What will worry the ex-Swansea City boss, though, is the fact the club has not won any of the last four games.
Zenit St Petersburg
- Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): L W W L L
- Last Result: Zenit 0 - 1 BATE Borisov
- Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): L D D L W
- Last Result: Liverpool 0 - 2 West Bromwich Albion
Spalletti has the entire squad for selection as there are no injury worries. January signings Luis Neto and and left-back Milan Rodic are also available for selection. Summer signings Hulk and Axel Witsel are likely to start on Thursday, as the Brazilian international will be leading Zenit's attacking line up.
Probable Line-Up: Malafeev; Anyukov, Lombaerts, Alves, Hubocan; Witsel, Denisov, Shirokov, Fayzulin; Bukharov, Hulk
Liverpool's January signings Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho are ruled out for the tie against Zenit, as they have been involved in the European competition with Chelsea and Inter Milan respectively. Defender Martin Kelly is ruled out for the tie due to injury. Uruguayan international Luis Suarez is likely to lead the Reds attacking line against the Russian champions.
Probable Line-Up: Reina; Wisdom, Carragher, Skrtel, Enrique; Sterling, Shelvey, Allen, Henderson; Borini, Suarez
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown