Zenit St Petersburg v Liverpool, Europa League: Where to Watch Live, Preview and Teams
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 14, 2013 10:34 PM EST
Brendan Rodgers takes his men to Russia as Liverpool face Zenit St Petersburg in the first leg of the clubs' first round knock-out tie in the UEFA Europa League.
Where to Watch
Kick-off is set for 5pm GMT. Live coverage will be available on ITV 4.
The Russian champions failed to qualify for the knock-out stages of the Champions League, which results in them playing in the Europa League. Zenit finished third in their group with seven points, just one point behind second place Malaga. Italian club AC Milan topped Group C. Luciano Spalletti's side are currently third in the Russian Premier Lague with 38 points from 19 games, trailing league leaders CSKA Moscow by five points.
Zenit's home form in Europe so far has been less than impressive, with only one win from three games. The good news for Spalletti is that the defence has been reasonably solid at home, with only five goals conceded in the six group stage games. The problem will be that the club have only scored five times.
Liverpool come into this game after a poor performance in the home defeat to West Brom. Captain Steven Gerrard missed a penalty in the final minutes and was punished after Gareth McAuley and on-loan Chelsea forward Romelu Lukaku scored in the final 10 minutes.
The Reds qualified as winners of Group A and will be confident for this tie because they have had immediate experience of Russian competition; Rodgers saw off the challenge of Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala in the group stages. What will worry the ex-Swansea City boss, though, is the fact the club has not won any of the last four games.
Zenit St Petersburg
- Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): L W W L L
- Last Result: Zenit 0 - 1 BATE Borisov
- Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): L D D L W
- Last Result: Liverpool 0 - 2 West Bromwich Albion
Spalletti has the entire squad for selection as there are no injury worries. January signings Luis Neto and and left-back Milan Rodic are also available for selection. Summer signings Hulk and Axel Witsel are likely to start on Thursday, as the Brazilian international will be leading Zenit's attacking line up.
Probable Line-Up: Malafeev; Anyukov, Lombaerts, Alves, Hubocan; Witsel, Denisov, Shirokov, Fayzulin; Bukharov, Hulk
Liverpool's January signings Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho are ruled out for the tie against Zenit, as they have been involved in the European competition with Chelsea and Inter Milan respectively. Defender Martin Kelly is ruled out for the tie due to injury. Uruguayan international Luis Suarez is likely to lead the Reds attacking line against the Russian champions.
Probable Line-Up: Reina; Wisdom, Carragher, Skrtel, Enrique; Sterling, Shelvey, Allen, Henderson; Borini, Suarez
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6