British Student Sam Woodhead Lost in Australian Outback
By Hannah Osborne | February 14, 2013 10:06 PM EST
A British student on his gap year has gone missing in the Australian outback after going for a run.
Sam Woodhead, 18, has been missing since Tuesday and search and rescue are becoming increasingly concerned for his wellbeing as daytime temperatures soar to 39C.
Woodhead, from Richmond, Surrey, is described as a fitness fanatic. Police believe he may have gone for a run and become lost or injured in the bush.
Senior constable Shane Ranger told the Brisbane Times that snakes and the blistering heat were a major concern. "We just don't know what he has got with him out there," he said.
"Dehydration, snakebite, injury - those are the factors we are concerned about."
Woodhead was last seen at a ranch called Upshot Station, where he had been staying. A search of his room revealed that his running shoes and backpack were missing but his wallet had been left behind.
Sgt Dave Perry said: "The owner of the property had gone to probably chase him out of bed. She went to his room and he was not there.
"There's no indication of anything that would cause him to go away.
"He's really into fitness. It is possible he may have been jogging on this occasion and become disoriented.
"We're not basing that on anything other than the fact he's been jogging previously."
Woodhead had been a student at Brighton College and had been visiting the Gold Coast as part of his gap year. His sister, Rebecca, has been keeping friends and family updated on the search progress on Facebook.
She said: "Still no further news but we have the helicopter going out again in the morning, Aus time, and hundreds of people going on a voluntary search party.
"Would be a great birthday present if my brother would just turn up and ask what all the fuss is about."
Upshot Station is in a remote area, around 80 miles from Longreach. The land covers around 3,200 acres.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine