British Student Sam Woodhead Lost in Australian Outback
By Hannah Osborne | February 14, 2013 10:06 PM EST
A British student on his gap year has gone missing in the Australian outback after going for a run.
Sam Woodhead, 18, has been missing since Tuesday and search and rescue are becoming increasingly concerned for his wellbeing as daytime temperatures soar to 39C.
Woodhead, from Richmond, Surrey, is described as a fitness fanatic. Police believe he may have gone for a run and become lost or injured in the bush.
Senior constable Shane Ranger told the Brisbane Times that snakes and the blistering heat were a major concern. "We just don't know what he has got with him out there," he said.
"Dehydration, snakebite, injury - those are the factors we are concerned about."
Woodhead was last seen at a ranch called Upshot Station, where he had been staying. A search of his room revealed that his running shoes and backpack were missing but his wallet had been left behind.
Sgt Dave Perry said: "The owner of the property had gone to probably chase him out of bed. She went to his room and he was not there.
"There's no indication of anything that would cause him to go away.
"He's really into fitness. It is possible he may have been jogging on this occasion and become disoriented.
"We're not basing that on anything other than the fact he's been jogging previously."
Woodhead had been a student at Brighton College and had been visiting the Gold Coast as part of his gap year. His sister, Rebecca, has been keeping friends and family updated on the search progress on Facebook.
She said: "Still no further news but we have the helicopter going out again in the morning, Aus time, and hundreds of people going on a voluntary search party.
"Would be a great birthday present if my brother would just turn up and ask what all the fuss is about."
Upshot Station is in a remote area, around 80 miles from Longreach. The land covers around 3,200 acres.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’