British Student Sam Woodhead Lost in Australian Outback
By Hannah Osborne | February 14, 2013 10:06 PM EST
A British student on his gap year has gone missing in the Australian outback after going for a run.
Sam Woodhead, 18, has been missing since Tuesday and search and rescue are becoming increasingly concerned for his wellbeing as daytime temperatures soar to 39C.
Woodhead, from Richmond, Surrey, is described as a fitness fanatic. Police believe he may have gone for a run and become lost or injured in the bush.
Senior constable Shane Ranger told the Brisbane Times that snakes and the blistering heat were a major concern. "We just don't know what he has got with him out there," he said.
"Dehydration, snakebite, injury - those are the factors we are concerned about."
Woodhead was last seen at a ranch called Upshot Station, where he had been staying. A search of his room revealed that his running shoes and backpack were missing but his wallet had been left behind.
Sgt Dave Perry said: "The owner of the property had gone to probably chase him out of bed. She went to his room and he was not there.
"There's no indication of anything that would cause him to go away.
"He's really into fitness. It is possible he may have been jogging on this occasion and become disoriented.
"We're not basing that on anything other than the fact he's been jogging previously."
Woodhead had been a student at Brighton College and had been visiting the Gold Coast as part of his gap year. His sister, Rebecca, has been keeping friends and family updated on the search progress on Facebook.
She said: "Still no further news but we have the helicopter going out again in the morning, Aus time, and hundreds of people going on a voluntary search party.
"Would be a great birthday present if my brother would just turn up and ask what all the fuss is about."
Upshot Station is in a remote area, around 80 miles from Longreach. The land covers around 3,200 acres.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports