Real Madrid v Manchester United: The View from Spain
By Gareth Platt | February 14, 2013 9:48 PM EST
The country's three biggest sports newspapers, Marca, AS and El Mundo Deportivo, all repeated the assertion that there is "everything to play for" at Old Trafford. However all three appear to favour United at the tie's half-way stage.
Marca, Madrid's biggest newspaper which has close ties to the Bernabeu, was particularly pessimistic. The paper noted that, on the four occasions Real have drawn 1-1 at home in the first leg of a European knock-out tie, they have been eliminated every time - losing 5-0 to AC Milan on one occasion.
Marca's match report claimed the game was "full of highlights," but the main one was United goalkeeper David De Gea, who was "infallible" in goal.
The paper continued: "The United keeper, who alternates been good and not so good performances in England, played possibly his best game as a Red Devil in the Bernabeu."
Marca's praise for United's Madrid-born goalkeeper was echoed by the city's other sports paper, AS, which called De Gea "heroic." In a rather acerbic piece, AS chastised Madrid for "an act of arrogance in underestimating Manchester United, over something so incidental as its rickey defence and troglodyte midfield. They are Manchester, and this is the European Cup."
On a slightly less vituperative note, the paper carried an interview with Emilio Butragueno, former player and now technical director at Madrid. Butragueno claimed Madrid "played some great football in the first half, and were better", adding that Madrid "they are a great team with a great competitive spirit."
However he said that, in Manchester United, "we are facing a great team who know their history and are conscious of it. It is one of the great names of the world. They got a great result for them, but they will knew it is a dangerous result as well."
Over in Barcelona, it appears the football cognoscenti are even more sceptical about Madrid's chances than their counterparts in the capital. El Mundo Deportivo, a paper which is typically pro-Barca and rarely declines the opportunity for some Bernabeu-bashing, said United are "now clear favourites to advance".
Writer Jesus Galindo asserted that Sir Alex Ferguson "has one foot in the quarter finals" after giving "a tactical lesson" to Jose Mourinho. He added that "all the genius and skill of Ozil and Cristiano Ronaldo is not enough to beat a team of Manchester United's calibre."
Thus it appears United have emerged with their reputation very much enhanced among the Spanish public, while Real are swimming against a tide of scepticism. But don't bet against Marca stirring up a Bernabeu bid for De Gea when the summer transfer window opens.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports