Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 2/14/2013
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | February 14, 2013 6:50 PM EST
Local stocks performed well again today, with the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) closing at its highest level since April 2011 and the ASX200 (XJO) at its best level since September 8, 2008.
The XAO was up 32.7pts to 5057.2 while the ASX200 closed at 5036.9, up 33.2pts.
Shares in the Commonwealth Bank (CBA) eased a little after performing strongly yesterday in the wake of its first half result. CBA closed at $66.90, down 0.3pct, the worst out of the big four today.
Rio Tinto (RIO) will report full year numbers at 5pm AEDT with the market anticipating a profit in excess of US$9B. RIO shares added 2.3pct today to $72.07.
Perth based conglomerate Wesfarmers (WES) today posted a 9.3pct rise in first half net profit, with earnings growth at its Coles supermarkets helping to drive the result. Revenue rose 3pct in the period to $30.6B. The headline net profit of $1.29B was slightly below expectations, however the strong result from Coles and WES´s other businesses impressed. Pre-tax profit at its Coles supermarkets was up 15pct to $755M, three times the rate of revenue growth. Its home improvement business Bunnings delivered pre-tax earnings of $518M, up 6.8pct and slightly ahead of forecasts; while Kmart also outperformed in the period. Target saw a 20pct drop in 1H earnings to $148M. WES also operates three coal mines. Pre-tax earnings at its Resources division were down 62.8pct in the period. The Industrial and Safety division also missed expectations. WES will pay a fully franked interim dividend of 77cps. Its share price rose to the highest level since December 2007 following the result, up 1.2pct to $38.88.
David Jones (DJS) today announced second quarter total sales fell 1.4pct and that it will stop selling DVDs, games and music as those categories underperform. DJS shares fell 0.4pct to $2.67 while Myer (MYR) was lower by 1.1pct to $2.65.
Alumina (AWC) shares rose 7.5pct to $1.29 today after the Chinese investment firm CITIC took up a 13pct stake for $425M which will help Alumina pay down debt.
Engineering firm Downer EDI (DOW) reported an 11pct in 1H net profit to $94M, while underlying profit rose 24pct to $105.5M. DOW also forecast a FY profit $210M and will pay an interim dividend of 10c per share. DOW did not pay a dividend this time last year. Its share price rose 7.8pct to $5.24.
There was no major economic data released today and the Australian dollar ended the day's session at US103.51c, £0.667 and €77.06c.
On the market overall, a total of 1.8 billion shares were traded, worth $5.9 billion. 519 were up, 495 were down and 344 were unchanged.
At 4.45pm AEDT the SFE 200 Futures Index was at 4993pts, up 37.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 23, 2014
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales