Beyond iTunes: Alternative Ways to Back Up Your iPhone
By Gilda Galang | February 14, 2013 6:28 PM EST
Every iPhone user's nightmare is to see that black screen even after trying every possible way to get it to turn on. This can happen after a major fall from the table or off the bed, or perhaps a software malfunction that would totally wipe out your contacts, photos, messages, and downloads.
This is the reason why it's important to backup your phone. The most common solution is to subscribe to iTunes and iCloud to make sure that your files are already backed up.
But if you're one to pursue other options, here is a list of potential backup programs and apps that can let you sleep a little better when it comes to your iPhone's safety.
PhoneCopy is a free easy-to-use app that lets you backup files in a cloud, which you can then access through the official website, www.phonecopy.com. Digital Trends reports that the app synchronizes your files, so storage won't be too much of a hassle.
Its retrieval function makes it an efficient tool, especially for those who have very mobile files, where adding and deleting happens so frequently, it's easy to lose track of the progress of your files.
Here, all you have to do is click Synchronize to make sure that all new files or additions have been backed up accordingly. PhoneCopy is also available for Android devices.
There are several kinds of software for backing up your iPhone files in the market, but how about those where you can transfer files between devices as well? Best of all, how about a free app to do all this without restricting you in terms of space limits or iOS versions?
Introducing Syncios, a free iPad, iPhone, and iPod to PC transfer program so you can back up your files securely in your laptop. All you need is your PC, a US cable, the Syncios program, and your device. Simple, according to a report in PR Log.
Now Syncios also has a conversion function, which allows you to convert both audio and video files to your iPhone, iPod, and iPad from several formats incliding mp3, m4a, m4r, CAF, m4v, or mov. Plus, it has a Ringtone Maker so you can spare yourself the hassle of buying ringtones and create them yourself.
For most Apple owners, there is the desire to just transfer files from an Apple device to another without trouble. But this is where CopyTrans comes in. It can easily back up your files from an iPhone or iPod to your local PC.
The only downside to CopyTrans is that it tends to sync music in wrong folders, meaning you would have to resort to manual back up to avoid duplicates of music folders.
PC World reports that CopyTrans has been updated to now work with the latest version of the iPhone, ensuring that your data from your previous smartphones are synced and backed up accordingly.
SOS Online Backup
This is an app that gives you 5GB of backup space. Imagine securing all your files from different devices in a site that has military-grade encryption for just $9.99 every month. You also have the option of backing up your desktop software, and accessing it from any device you are using.
Unconvinced? SOS Online Backup also provides you with a 14-day free trial just so you can try it out yourself.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Windows 9 Release: Reasons of Free Download for Windows 8 and Windows 7 Customers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date and Specs Speculations: Smartphone May Be Released in October or November 2014! – Report
- Windows Phone 8.1: Australia, Canada, New Zealand, U.S. and UK Status; How to Download and Install
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports