Apple's MacBook Pro Retina Range Gets $200 Price Cut and Power Boost
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 14, 2013 5:45 PM EST
Apple Inc on Wednesday dropped the prices of its Retina MacBook Pro and top-end models by up to $200, in a bid to consolidate greater share in the burgeoning technology market.
The price cut will bring the 13-inch MacBook Pro with 128GB SSD storage down to ₹99,900 from its previous price of ₹1,14,900, and the 256GB version down by ₹5,000 to ₹94,900. The prices of other models in the same series will remain unchanged.
"Apple is making the MacBook Pro with Retina display faster and more affordable with updated processors and lower starting prices," said Apple in an official statement on Thursday.
Apart from the price cut, Apple has boosted the speed capacity of some of its MacBook Pro laptops. The 13-inch MacBook Pro 256GB model will now feature 2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor in place of the earlier 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor. Likewise, the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display will now get a 2.4 GHz quad-core processor while its top end variant will be powered by 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor.
The upgraded models are available for purchase though Apple Online Store and at authorized retailers.
Apple's decision of a price cut came after it witnessed a decline in sales of its popular-selling Macbook Pro range during the last holiday season.
According to Reuters, investors expressed concern over the iPad range eating into MacBook Pro laptops sales. In the December quarter, MacBook Pro sales stood at 4.1 million in unit sales units, 21 percent down from 5.2 million units in the same period last year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales