Pope’s Head Injury Is The Major Factor In His Resignation: Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 14, 2013 5:25 PM EST
Pope Benedict XVI sustained a minor head injury while on a trip to Mexico last year which is being identified as the core reason behind his sudden resignation from the post.
Citing an Italian daily newspaper, BBC Thursday reported that the previously unpublicized head injury made the Pope to resign from the post.
Referring to the injury, BBC reported that a prelate who was on the trip with the pope told the Italian paper that Benedict XVI was injured when he was trying to move around his room in the dark not being able to find the switch for the light.
Despite the blow on his head, the pope continued his engagements in Mexico but the prelate said he knew that "the pope no longer had the physical strength to endure these long trips."
"The change of time zone, the burden of public commitments" was adding to his problems.
Quoting Italian media, BBC reported that it was soon after his trip to Mexico and Cuba last year that the pope announced about his possible resignation.
However, the Vatican reportedly cited the old-age as reason in his resignation and not a particular health problem.
Pope Benedict XVI Monday announced that he would resign from the post later this month and the new pope is expected to be chosen by mid-March.
The new pope will be chosen through a special meeting of cardinals at the Vatican City and the position once reserved to the Italians is now open to all, even non-Europeans including Asians and Africans.
Several candidates have been already nominated in the public to replace the present pope and Cardinal Marc Quellet from Canada is one of the leading candidates marked by oddsmakers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date