No Low-Cost BlackBerry 10 Smartphones This Year
By Vijaykumar Meti | February 14, 2013 4:41 PM EST
BlackBerry recently launched its new operating system 'BB10 OS' along with two new smartphones called BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry Q10, both of which are aimed to be part of the high-end smartphone segments.
This year, the company is expected to announce a number of devices running on its new operating system. Unfortunately, there won't be any entry level (low-cost) smartphones.
Stephen Bates, European Managing Director at BlackBerry, said that they will not be releasing entry level BlackBerry 10 device in 2013.
"We've brought out these high-end devices as a statement of intent - to demonstrate vividly the new BlackBerry. Our intention is to evolve that portfolio to enter the mid-tier," Bates said.
"But we don't see us getting to the entry level tier for some time; certainly not this year. Based on the great sales we've had over Christmas in the UK there is a demand for the entry level BlackBerry and we don't want to give that up so we're going to continue with Curve and the entry level as we bring BlackBerry 10 down through the mid-tier and eventually into the entry level," he added.
It is certainly not a bad idea that BlackBerry is focused on the higher end smartphone market as it aims to regain the market shares which is currently dominated by Apple's iPhone and Android devices such as Samsung's range of Galaxy smartphone.
The company plans to continue with the success of devices which runs BlackBerry 7 OS and older at the entry level market and this could be the reason for BlackBerry not entering into the mid or entry level smartphone market segment with BB10 devices. In effect, if one wants an inexpensive BlackBerry smartphone, the company suggests going with BlackBerry Curve or BlackBerry Bold which falls in the mid-range smartphones segment.
Prior to the launch of BlackBerry 10 devices, it was announced that the company will launch up to six handsets running BB10 OS. If that's true than all six handsets will be premium devices targeting the higher end market segment.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones