Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 2/14/2013
By Juliette Saly. CommSec Market Analyst | February 14, 2013 4:16 PM EST
Local stocks are managing to hold onto yesterday's impressive gains in the early session, despite US blue chip stocks easing overnight. The NASDAQ however closed firmer while European markets were lifted by upbeat corporate results.
Coles owner Wesfarmers (WES) has lifted its first half profit by 9.3pct to $1.29B and will pay an interim dividend of 77c per shares. WES shares fell 0.6pct before the result was released to $38.21 and will resume just after midday in the East.
David Jones (DJS) has announced second quarter total sales fell 1.4pct and that it will stop selling DVDs, games and music as those categories underperform. DJS shares are down 2pct to $2.63 while Myer (MYR) is lower by 3.7pct to $2.58.
There's been a big spike in Alumina (AWC) shares today after the Chinese investment firm CITIC took up a 13pct stake for $425M which will help Alumina pay down debt. AWC shares are firmer by 11pct at lunch to $1.3325.
Engineering firm Downer EDI (DOW) has seen first half net profit rise 11pct to $94M, while underlying profit rose 24pct to $105.5M. DOW has also forecast a FY profit $210M and will pay an interim dividend of 10c per share. DOW did not pay a dividend this time last year. Its share price has risen 10.3pct to $5.36.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown