Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 2/14/2013
By Juliette Saly. CommSec Market Analyst | February 14, 2013 4:16 PM EST
Local stocks are managing to hold onto yesterday's impressive gains in the early session, despite US blue chip stocks easing overnight. The NASDAQ however closed firmer while European markets were lifted by upbeat corporate results.
Coles owner Wesfarmers (WES) has lifted its first half profit by 9.3pct to $1.29B and will pay an interim dividend of 77c per shares. WES shares fell 0.6pct before the result was released to $38.21 and will resume just after midday in the East.
David Jones (DJS) has announced second quarter total sales fell 1.4pct and that it will stop selling DVDs, games and music as those categories underperform. DJS shares are down 2pct to $2.63 while Myer (MYR) is lower by 3.7pct to $2.58.
There's been a big spike in Alumina (AWC) shares today after the Chinese investment firm CITIC took up a 13pct stake for $425M which will help Alumina pay down debt. AWC shares are firmer by 11pct at lunch to $1.3325.
Engineering firm Downer EDI (DOW) has seen first half net profit rise 11pct to $94M, while underlying profit rose 24pct to $105.5M. DOW has also forecast a FY profit $210M and will pay an interim dividend of 10c per share. DOW did not pay a dividend this time last year. Its share price has risen 10.3pct to $5.36.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected