Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 2/14/2013
By Juliette Saly. CommSec Market Analyst | February 14, 2013 4:16 PM EST
Local stocks are managing to hold onto yesterday's impressive gains in the early session, despite US blue chip stocks easing overnight. The NASDAQ however closed firmer while European markets were lifted by upbeat corporate results.
Coles owner Wesfarmers (WES) has lifted its first half profit by 9.3pct to $1.29B and will pay an interim dividend of 77c per shares. WES shares fell 0.6pct before the result was released to $38.21 and will resume just after midday in the East.
David Jones (DJS) has announced second quarter total sales fell 1.4pct and that it will stop selling DVDs, games and music as those categories underperform. DJS shares are down 2pct to $2.63 while Myer (MYR) is lower by 3.7pct to $2.58.
There's been a big spike in Alumina (AWC) shares today after the Chinese investment firm CITIC took up a 13pct stake for $425M which will help Alumina pay down debt. AWC shares are firmer by 11pct at lunch to $1.3325.
Engineering firm Downer EDI (DOW) has seen first half net profit rise 11pct to $94M, while underlying profit rose 24pct to $105.5M. DOW has also forecast a FY profit $210M and will pay an interim dividend of 10c per share. DOW did not pay a dividend this time last year. Its share price has risen 10.3pct to $5.36.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Join the Conversation
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid