Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 2/14/2013
By Juliette Saly. CommSec Market Analyst | February 14, 2013 4:16 PM EST
Local stocks are managing to hold onto yesterday's impressive gains in the early session, despite US blue chip stocks easing overnight. The NASDAQ however closed firmer while European markets were lifted by upbeat corporate results.
Coles owner Wesfarmers (WES) has lifted its first half profit by 9.3pct to $1.29B and will pay an interim dividend of 77c per shares. WES shares fell 0.6pct before the result was released to $38.21 and will resume just after midday in the East.
David Jones (DJS) has announced second quarter total sales fell 1.4pct and that it will stop selling DVDs, games and music as those categories underperform. DJS shares are down 2pct to $2.63 while Myer (MYR) is lower by 3.7pct to $2.58.
There's been a big spike in Alumina (AWC) shares today after the Chinese investment firm CITIC took up a 13pct stake for $425M which will help Alumina pay down debt. AWC shares are firmer by 11pct at lunch to $1.3325.
Engineering firm Downer EDI (DOW) has seen first half net profit rise 11pct to $94M, while underlying profit rose 24pct to $105.5M. DOW has also forecast a FY profit $210M and will pay an interim dividend of 10c per share. DOW did not pay a dividend this time last year. Its share price has risen 10.3pct to $5.36.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia