Valentine’s Day: How Not to Show Love with Anti-Valentine’s Day Films and Songlist
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 14, 2013 3:12 PM EST
There are no guaranteed statistics as to how much in the global population look forward to this day of hearts, but there is a huge part still of the Earth's inhabitants who despise this day of love. So while others bask in the love of their partners, special someone or significant other, there are some who will prefer to hide behind their bedroom doors, literally, and just wish that the day ends soon.
So for those who are bitter in their own right on this love day, here are a few recommended anti-Valentine's Day films and songlist that could entertain them through.
Anti-Valentine's Day Films
1). Blue Valentine (2011)
Blue Valentine is sort of two movies in one where Dean (Ryan Gosling) and Cindy (Michelle Williams) are two lost souls who find solace in each other's company. Cindy has emotional baggage from familial trauma while Dean is the predictable charming free spirit ready to make the pain go away. When Cindy finds herself pregnant, Dean becomes her emotional support and the two eventually decide to marry. Fast forward to the future versions of Dean and Cindy - aged, tired and weary beings who are mere shells of their former exuberant selves. The child, who originally was the reason that got them together, now serves as the last remaining link in their deteriorating relationship. Though one can easily find signs of impending disaster in the early scenes, it does not make watching the slow but inevitable collapse of their marriage any less traumatizing.
2). (500) Days of Summer (2009)
"This is a story of boy meets girl. But you should know in advance, this is not a love story," the voiceover intones at the start of this bittersweet romantic comedy. Summer acknowledges that yes sometimes, without definite rhythm or reason, a relationship can just not work out - no matter how badly you want it to. Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel as the love-struck guy and the hard-to-get - and even harder to keep - girl.
3). Scenes from a Marriage (1973)
Made by Sweden's Ingmar Bergman and on a shoestring budget. Features claustrophobic close-ups and long, soul-baring monologues. Its original Swedish TV miniseries counterpart ran almost five hours in length. Released as a three-hour cut in U.S. cinemas, the film portrays a failed marriage.
4). High Fidelity (2000)
To learn why his former partner left - and what to do to win her back - Rob Gordon seeks the opinions of his former girlfriends on why their relationships failed.
5). The Break-Up (2006)
Peyton Reed's dramedy showed the normally and usually expected chaos that follows an emotional break-up.
Anti-Valentine's Day Songlist
1). Tainted Love by Soft Cell
A song all about the pain of being cheated on.
2). Used To Love Her by Guns N Roses
A catchy song about killing... uhm... an annoying girlfriend.
3). You Outta Know by Alanis Morisette
A song that depicts the fury of a woman scorned or for anyone who's ever been on the bad end of a break up.
4). Since You've Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson
A song that portrays a break-up is like finally getting out of a prison. This song screams freedom!
5). Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye
The Grammy's Record Of The Year, a ballad of, you got it right on, a relationship gone wrong. Just perfect for this love, love, love holiday.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS