Daniel Radcliffe Out Cover: 'Harry Potter' Star Doesn't Find Gay Love Scene 'Shocking'
By Maria Vultaggio | February 14, 2013 2:09 PM EST
The 23-year-old actor played the hero in J.K. Rowling’s best-selling series turned blockbuster hit from 2001 through 2011.
Fans watched Radcliffe grow up on the silver screen through all eight movies he filmed, but in his latest interview with Out magazine the 23-year-old celebrity wants to prove that Harry Potter isn’t the only character he can play.
In 2007, Radcliffe appeared in the highly talked-about stage production of “Eqqus,” where he appeared nude on stage. Later he headlined a revival of "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying."
Now he's courting controversy again by portraying poet Allen Ginsberg in “Kill Your Darlings,” where he’ll participate in a gay love scene.
Radcliffe recently talked about the film, the buzz it’s been making and how he doesn’t find the scene “shocking” when sitting down with gay magazine Out:
”It’s interesting that it’s deemed shocking,” Radcliffe said. “For me, there’s something very strange about that because we see straight sex scenes all the time. We’ve seen gay sex scenes before. I don’t know why a gay sex scene should be any more shocking than a straight sex scene. Or both of them are equally un-shocking.”
Radcliffe is on the cover of Out’s March issue and told the magazine that it was difficult to get into the mindset of a gay man for the role.
“You never see a gay actor getting asked what it’s like to play straight — to my knowledge, at least, there is no difference in how heterosexual and homosexual people fall in love,” he said.
Though some people doubt Radcliffe will be able to effectively pull off the role, he believes he will impress his critics.
“I can see why people are skeptical about me playing Allen Ginsberg. I don’t look like him, and I’m English and middle-class and not from New Jersey. But that’s what I think is so exciting about it, because people have no idea.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop