Daniel Radcliffe Out Cover: 'Harry Potter' Star Doesn't Find Gay Love Scene 'Shocking'
By Maria Vultaggio | February 14, 2013 2:09 PM EST
The 23-year-old actor played the hero in J.K. Rowling’s best-selling series turned blockbuster hit from 2001 through 2011.
Fans watched Radcliffe grow up on the silver screen through all eight movies he filmed, but in his latest interview with Out magazine the 23-year-old celebrity wants to prove that Harry Potter isn’t the only character he can play.
In 2007, Radcliffe appeared in the highly talked-about stage production of “Eqqus,” where he appeared nude on stage. Later he headlined a revival of "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying."
Now he's courting controversy again by portraying poet Allen Ginsberg in “Kill Your Darlings,” where he’ll participate in a gay love scene.
Radcliffe recently talked about the film, the buzz it’s been making and how he doesn’t find the scene “shocking” when sitting down with gay magazine Out:
”It’s interesting that it’s deemed shocking,” Radcliffe said. “For me, there’s something very strange about that because we see straight sex scenes all the time. We’ve seen gay sex scenes before. I don’t know why a gay sex scene should be any more shocking than a straight sex scene. Or both of them are equally un-shocking.”
Radcliffe is on the cover of Out’s March issue and told the magazine that it was difficult to get into the mindset of a gay man for the role.
“You never see a gay actor getting asked what it’s like to play straight — to my knowledge, at least, there is no difference in how heterosexual and homosexual people fall in love,” he said.
Though some people doubt Radcliffe will be able to effectively pull off the role, he believes he will impress his critics.
“I can see why people are skeptical about me playing Allen Ginsberg. I don’t look like him, and I’m English and middle-class and not from New Jersey. But that’s what I think is so exciting about it, because people have no idea.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools