Apple Set for June-July Rollout of iPhone 5S, iPhone Mini; iPhone 6 Geared for Q1 2014 Release – Analyst
By Erik Pineda | February 14, 2013 11:57 AM EST
Apple's iPhone 5S will reportedly hit global stores between June and July this year, a new report said, indicating too that production of the hotly-anticipated smartphone will commence in full swing by March.
Quoting the new research note issued by Peter Misek of Jefferies & Co, Barron's reported that the next iPhone refresh will most likely come out rolling a few months from now.
"We see them as on track for a targeted June launch," Mr Misek said.
Should problems crop out, the rollout could be pushed back on July, the analyst said, quickly adding that for that to happen is slim at this point because there were "few changes for the iPhone 5S vs. the iPhone 5."
The latest note is almost positive that Apple is fully geared up for the iPhone 5S mid-year debut, even cutting down the production target of the iPhone 5 from 40 million units to 30 million in Q1 2013, though Mr Misek noted that the downgrade was partly caused by iPhone 5's "decelerating faster than expected."
Considering this troubling sales trend for Apple's flagship device, Mr Misek is convinced that Apple will opt for a simultaneous launch this year for two iPhone versions, with the company gunning to shore up what appeared as its smartphone's flagging sales performance.
To boost its sales, especially in the Asian market, Apple is partnering with China's China Mobile and Japan's DoCoMo. "We think the China Mobile launch will be focused on the low-cost iPhone while the DoCoMo launch will be focused on the 5S," the research note said.
But it's another story as far as the rumoured 4.8-inch iPhone 6 is concerned.
The supposedly iPhone phablet was originally scheduled for an October 2013 release but it will have to wait until early next year as Apple reportedly encountered production glitches in finalising the actual screen specifications of the larger iPhone.
"Our checks indicate that Apple's suppliers are running into difficulties trying to scale the screen size from 4-inch to 4.8-inch," Mr Misek said.
This particular iPhone 6 issue, he added, "is making Apple look at switching to on-cell (a different integrated touchscreen technology) and OLED (despite Apple's suppliers being well behind Samsung in their OLED capabilities) or IGZO."
Earlier reports have suggested that the tech giant is seriously considering the deployment of Sharp's IGZO display technology though many analysts believe that the option is more attuned for fitting into iPad and iPad Mini production.
According to BGR News, Apple could provide a glimpse of its fresh handsets via its annual Worldwide Developers Conference.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date