Apple Set for June-July Rollout of iPhone 5S, iPhone Mini; iPhone 6 Geared for Q1 2014 Release – Analyst
By Erik Pineda | February 14, 2013 11:57 AM EST
Apple's iPhone 5S will reportedly hit global stores between June and July this year, a new report said, indicating too that production of the hotly-anticipated smartphone will commence in full swing by March.
Quoting the new research note issued by Peter Misek of Jefferies & Co, Barron's reported that the next iPhone refresh will most likely come out rolling a few months from now.
"We see them as on track for a targeted June launch," Mr Misek said.
Should problems crop out, the rollout could be pushed back on July, the analyst said, quickly adding that for that to happen is slim at this point because there were "few changes for the iPhone 5S vs. the iPhone 5."
The latest note is almost positive that Apple is fully geared up for the iPhone 5S mid-year debut, even cutting down the production target of the iPhone 5 from 40 million units to 30 million in Q1 2013, though Mr Misek noted that the downgrade was partly caused by iPhone 5's "decelerating faster than expected."
Considering this troubling sales trend for Apple's flagship device, Mr Misek is convinced that Apple will opt for a simultaneous launch this year for two iPhone versions, with the company gunning to shore up what appeared as its smartphone's flagging sales performance.
To boost its sales, especially in the Asian market, Apple is partnering with China's China Mobile and Japan's DoCoMo. "We think the China Mobile launch will be focused on the low-cost iPhone while the DoCoMo launch will be focused on the 5S," the research note said.
But it's another story as far as the rumoured 4.8-inch iPhone 6 is concerned.
The supposedly iPhone phablet was originally scheduled for an October 2013 release but it will have to wait until early next year as Apple reportedly encountered production glitches in finalising the actual screen specifications of the larger iPhone.
"Our checks indicate that Apple's suppliers are running into difficulties trying to scale the screen size from 4-inch to 4.8-inch," Mr Misek said.
This particular iPhone 6 issue, he added, "is making Apple look at switching to on-cell (a different integrated touchscreen technology) and OLED (despite Apple's suppliers being well behind Samsung in their OLED capabilities) or IGZO."
Earlier reports have suggested that the tech giant is seriously considering the deployment of Sharp's IGZO display technology though many analysts believe that the option is more attuned for fitting into iPad and iPad Mini production.
According to BGR News, Apple could provide a glimpse of its fresh handsets via its annual Worldwide Developers Conference.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc. Stock Surge Observed as Hedge Funds 'Feasted' Ahead of iPhone 6 Launch
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Small Businesses Claim Positive Financial Situation but Negative on Outlook
- Vodafone Buys Ericsson Equipment to Replace 5-Year-Old Network Technologies
- Perfume Maker Elizabeth Arden Blames Poor Q4 Financial Results on Justin Bieber Scent
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features