MetLife profit falls on derivative losses; operating profit beats
February 14, 2013 9:56 AM EST
MetLife, like its peers, is heavily exposed to the persistently low interest rate environment. But the company has long had a substantial derivatives program designed to smooth out that risk.
But higher interest rates, foreign currency changes and impact of the company's credit spreads resulted in derivative net losses of $924 million, after tax, in the quarter. The company recorded derivative net gains of $351 million in the year earlier quarter.
The company's net income fell to $96 million, or 9 cents per share, in the fourth quarter, from $959 million, or 90 cents per share, a year earlier.
Operating profit was $1.25 per share.
Analysts on average had expected earnings of $1.18 per share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
MetLife shares closed at $37.50 on the New York Stock Exchange on Wednesday. They have gained 16 percent in the last three months, outperforming the 13 percent rise in Dow Jones U.S. Insurance Index <.DJUSIR> during the same period.
(Reporting by Aman Shah in Bangalore; Editing by Sriraj Kalluvila)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report