MetLife profit falls on derivative losses; operating profit beats
February 14, 2013 9:56 AM EST
MetLife, like its peers, is heavily exposed to the persistently low interest rate environment. But the company has long had a substantial derivatives program designed to smooth out that risk.
But higher interest rates, foreign currency changes and impact of the company's credit spreads resulted in derivative net losses of $924 million, after tax, in the quarter. The company recorded derivative net gains of $351 million in the year earlier quarter.
The company's net income fell to $96 million, or 9 cents per share, in the fourth quarter, from $959 million, or 90 cents per share, a year earlier.
Operating profit was $1.25 per share.
Analysts on average had expected earnings of $1.18 per share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
MetLife shares closed at $37.50 on the New York Stock Exchange on Wednesday. They have gained 16 percent in the last three months, outperforming the 13 percent rise in Dow Jones U.S. Insurance Index <.DJUSIR> during the same period.
(Reporting by Aman Shah in Bangalore; Editing by Sriraj Kalluvila)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS