5 Most Popular Valentine’s Day Movies
February 14, 2013 5:36 AM EST
Films released on or around Valentine’s Day, like “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” and “The Vow,” occasionally strike box office gold.
Here are the five highest earning V-Day releases.
5) “He’s Just Not That Into You”
Worldwide Gross: $178,846,899
Who knew that an adaptation of a self-help book would hit the rom-com jackpot?
“He’s Just Not That Into You” follows a group of Baltimore residents dealing with the ups and downs of love. The 2009 multi-story comedy took in $27 million in its opening weekend.
The film’s cast, which includes Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Bradley Cooper, and Scarlett Johansson, probably had something to do with that.
4) “50 First Dates”
Worldwide Gross: $196,482,882
Sure “Memento” offers much better insights into the perils of short-term memory loss, but “50 First Dates” struck a chord with filmgoers. The film grossed over $39 million during its first weekend of release.
The Hawaii-set rom-com stars Adam Sandler as a marine biologist who falls for a woman with a brain injury (Drew Barrymore) who can't remember meeting him, forcing him to court her over and over again.
This wasn’t the first Valentine’s Day hit to star Sandler and Barrymore. Their comedy “The Wedding Singer” hit theaters in February 1998 and took in $123 million.
3) “Just Go With It”
Worldwide Gross: $214,945, 591
What is it about Adam Sandler that brings audiences to the theaters around V-Day? In 2011, the funnyman starred in the massively successful “Just Go With It.”
Sandler stars as a plastic surgeon who pretends to be married in order to lure women. When he meets his dream girl (Brooklyn Decker), he enlists the help of his co-worker (Jennifer Aniston) to play the part of his estranged wife.
It didn’t matter that the comedy received largely negative reviews or that it’s plot was ludicrous--the film earned $30 million in its first weekend of release.
2) “Valentine’s Day”
Worldwide Gross: $216,485,654
Though the plotless “Valentine’s Day” is pretty terrible, audiences headed to the theater in droves to see it in 2011. The comedy, which stars Ashton Kutcher, Jessica Biel, Jennifer Garner, Julia Roberts, and Bradley Cooper, enjoyed a $56 million opening.
Studios attempted to capitalize on the success of the ensemble chick flick in 2012 with the “New Year’s Eve,” but the critically panned film sank at the box office.
Worldwide Gross: $368,100,420
Most Will Smith movies are massive box office hits so it’s no surprise that the 2005 comedy “Hitch” is the highest grossing V-day release of all time. The comedy took in a whopping $43 million during its opening weekend.
The film follows a date doctor (Smith) who begins dating the one woman who’s impervious to his charm ((Eva Menes).
This Valentine’s Day weekend marks the release of the Bruce Willis action flick “It’s A Good Day to Die Hard” and the more holiday appropriate “Beautiful Creatures” and “Safe Haven.”
It’s possible that one of these films could outshine previous V-Day premieres.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage