5 Most Popular Valentine’s Day Movies
February 14, 2013 5:36 AM EST
Films released on or around Valentine’s Day, like “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” and “The Vow,” occasionally strike box office gold.
Here are the five highest earning V-Day releases.
5) “He’s Just Not That Into You”
Worldwide Gross: $178,846,899
Who knew that an adaptation of a self-help book would hit the rom-com jackpot?
“He’s Just Not That Into You” follows a group of Baltimore residents dealing with the ups and downs of love. The 2009 multi-story comedy took in $27 million in its opening weekend.
The film’s cast, which includes Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Bradley Cooper, and Scarlett Johansson, probably had something to do with that.
4) “50 First Dates”
Worldwide Gross: $196,482,882
Sure “Memento” offers much better insights into the perils of short-term memory loss, but “50 First Dates” struck a chord with filmgoers. The film grossed over $39 million during its first weekend of release.
The Hawaii-set rom-com stars Adam Sandler as a marine biologist who falls for a woman with a brain injury (Drew Barrymore) who can't remember meeting him, forcing him to court her over and over again.
This wasn’t the first Valentine’s Day hit to star Sandler and Barrymore. Their comedy “The Wedding Singer” hit theaters in February 1998 and took in $123 million.
3) “Just Go With It”
Worldwide Gross: $214,945, 591
What is it about Adam Sandler that brings audiences to the theaters around V-Day? In 2011, the funnyman starred in the massively successful “Just Go With It.”
Sandler stars as a plastic surgeon who pretends to be married in order to lure women. When he meets his dream girl (Brooklyn Decker), he enlists the help of his co-worker (Jennifer Aniston) to play the part of his estranged wife.
It didn’t matter that the comedy received largely negative reviews or that it’s plot was ludicrous--the film earned $30 million in its first weekend of release.
2) “Valentine’s Day”
Worldwide Gross: $216,485,654
Though the plotless “Valentine’s Day” is pretty terrible, audiences headed to the theater in droves to see it in 2011. The comedy, which stars Ashton Kutcher, Jessica Biel, Jennifer Garner, Julia Roberts, and Bradley Cooper, enjoyed a $56 million opening.
Studios attempted to capitalize on the success of the ensemble chick flick in 2012 with the “New Year’s Eve,” but the critically panned film sank at the box office.
Worldwide Gross: $368,100,420
Most Will Smith movies are massive box office hits so it’s no surprise that the 2005 comedy “Hitch” is the highest grossing V-day release of all time. The comedy took in a whopping $43 million during its opening weekend.
The film follows a date doctor (Smith) who begins dating the one woman who’s impervious to his charm ((Eva Menes).
This Valentine’s Day weekend marks the release of the Bruce Willis action flick “It’s A Good Day to Die Hard” and the more holiday appropriate “Beautiful Creatures” and “Safe Haven.”
It’s possible that one of these films could outshine previous V-Day premieres.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates