4,000 Carnival Triumph Passengers Sharing Five Toilets on Drifting Liner
By Dominic Gover | February 14, 2013 4:09 AM EST
A dream cruise in the Gulf of Mexico has descended into a savage 'Lord of the Flies'-style hell for holidaymakers.
Passengers on the Carnival Triumph are fighting each other for scraps of food, as raw human sewage runs down walls and urine soaks carpets in alarming scenes which appear to show a society in serious breakdown, according to witness reports.
Holidaymakers have spoken of their cruise nightmare after the massive cruise liner was crippled by an engine fire which left it drifting in waters off Alabama.
The situation has been worsened by the fact that only five working toilets are being used by 4,200 people.
Desperate crew members have reportedly ordered passengers - who paid thousands of dollars for the trip - to defecate in plastic bags and to use showers for urinating in. There are reports of mass vomiting on board.
David Nutt, whose son is on board the vessel, said: "The odour is so bad people are getting sick and they're throwing up everywhere. People are fighting over food and stuff - that's a bunch of savages."
Queuing for dwindling supplies can take four hours, passengers have complained, with bread and onions said to be among the last remaining food stuffs.
Scramble for fresh air
Debra Rightmire texted ABC News saying: "Conditions are getting worse by the hour. Cabin carpets are wet with urine and water. Toilets are overflowing in the cabins, we are having to sleep in the hallways. Onion for dinner."
There is no electricity or working air-conditioning. Conditions have deteriorated so badly in cabins and corridors that a tent-city has sprung up on deck as passengers scramble for fresh air.
Jimmy Mowlam told ABC what his son Rob, a passenger, had said: "He said up on deck it looks like a shanty town, with sheets, tents, mattresses, anything else they can pull up to sleep on."
Nautical expert Jim Herring warned that there was a growing risk of onboard disease spreading through passengers with many of them potentially vulnerable to a norovirus, which cause spontaneous vomiting and diarrhea.
Carnival Cruises president Gerry Cahill said: "No one here from Carnival is happy about the conditions onboard the ship."
"We obviously are very, very sorry about what is taking place."
It will be towed into Miami and is expected to dock on Thursday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James