Barclays pays to get capital boost from 2008 warrants
February 14, 2013 4:00 AM EST
Deutsche and Goldman held the warrants - instruments that convert into shares - after Qatar's sovereign wealth fund locked in a profit on them in November. Qatar received the warrants as part of a fundraising by Barclays in November 2008, which meant the bank avoided taking rescue cash from the UK government.
The cashcall was controversial at the time for being too generous to Qatar and Abu Dhabi investors, and Barclays has recently come under scrutiny for its disclosures around the deal.
The last 379.2 million warrants had a gross value of 750 million pounds. Barclays said the net proceeds will boost its core Tier 1 capital ratio by 0.19 percent, adding to its 10.9 percent core ratio at the end of December.
Qatar had notched up a gain of more than 1.7 billion pounds from its investment in Barclays in November, according to Reuters estimates. It still has a 6.7 percent stake in the bank.
(Reporting by Steve Slater; Editing by Louise Heavens)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone
- iPhone 6 Plus Phablet Features Only 1 GB RAM