Barclays pays to get capital boost from 2008 warrants
February 14, 2013 4:00 AM EST
Deutsche and Goldman held the warrants - instruments that convert into shares - after Qatar's sovereign wealth fund locked in a profit on them in November. Qatar received the warrants as part of a fundraising by Barclays in November 2008, which meant the bank avoided taking rescue cash from the UK government.
The cashcall was controversial at the time for being too generous to Qatar and Abu Dhabi investors, and Barclays has recently come under scrutiny for its disclosures around the deal.
The last 379.2 million warrants had a gross value of 750 million pounds. Barclays said the net proceeds will boost its core Tier 1 capital ratio by 0.19 percent, adding to its 10.9 percent core ratio at the end of December.
Qatar had notched up a gain of more than 1.7 billion pounds from its investment in Barclays in November, according to Reuters estimates. It still has a 6.7 percent stake in the bank.
(Reporting by Steve Slater; Editing by Louise Heavens)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight