Chris Dorner Supporters Hate Police, Believe Their 'Hero' Escaped From Big Bear Standoff
By Howard Koplowitz | February 14, 2013 2:29 AM EST
Millions of Americans watched the shootout and standoff between former LAPD cop Chris Dorner and authorities with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s office.
Some of those Americans included fans of the rogue ex-offficer, who killed three people, including a police officer, after claiming he was unjustly fired by the Los Angeles Police Department. Dorner contends he was telling the truth about police brutality committed by his training officer.
Supporters of Dorner sprouted up on social media sites in the week since the 33-year-old former U.S. Navy reservist led cops on a manhunt throughout Southern California since the first murder on Super Bowl Sunday.
The manhunt began after Dorner was believed to have shot and killed Monica Quan and her fiancé, Keith Lawrence, in their Irvine, Calif., parking garage on Feb. 3. Quan is the daughter of former LAPD Capt. Randal Quan, who headed Dorner’s appeal of his 2009 firing.
A day after the murders, Dorner’s manifesto became public. The rambling missive claimed Dorner committed the killings as part of an effort to clear his name.
On Feb. 7., Dorner was suspected of shooting and killing Riverside Police Department Officer Michael Crain while Crain was on routine patrol.
A man believed to be Dorner engaged in a shootout with authorities from the San Bernardino County Sheriff's office Monday after he was surrounded in a Big Bear cabin. The body has not yet been identified.
A number of Facebook pages have been created by those who back the disgruntled ex-LAPD officer.
The most popular page, “Christopher Dorner,” has 12,912 likes. The latest post on the page, at around 9:30 a.m., poses the possibility that Dorner survived the cabin in Big Bear, Calif., where he engaged in a shootout with police and was surrounded in the structure. The cabin erupted into flames after an explosion. Police said a charred body was inside the cabin, but it was yet to be identified as Dorner.
“Did Christopher survive? Come to our site and discuss what you saw and your theories. Support the website, support the movement!” the post read, referring to www.christopher-dorner.com.
About 40 people liked the post, many of whom either believe Dorner survived or hoped he did. Those commenting on the post were sympathetic to Dorner or harbored animosity for law enforcement.
“Every bit of heart I have left after these crooked cops got a hold of me hopes” Dorner survived, wrote Joshua Pineda of Austin, Tex.
“Im from germany, but i hope hes alive, and i hope he can finish his mission!!!” wrote Nils Essig.
Some even called Dorner a “hero.”
“No our hero is still alive!! You haters why are you wasting Ur own time like isn't there some crooked cop convention or good ole boy donut sale going on???” said Ababa Abeba. “If our super hero can escape the grips of 50,000 gun toting crooks he definitely made it out of the big bear woods!!!”
Support for Dorner was also seen on Twitter, where the #DornerGang hashtag was used by those who back the rogue former cop.
“Wanna bang the set come fade at the cabin #DornerGang !” wrote Twitter user @WRAYcharless, who used gang slang to indicate that Dorner supporters should show up to the shootout.
“I don't want him to be caught #DornerGang,” said @Alinaatreee.
Twitter user @TrulyKins said he appreciated Dorner’s killing of police officers. Dorner is suspected of murdering Riverside Police Department Officer Michael Crain while Crain was on routine patrol Feb. 7. Authorities said Dorner also killed a San Bernardino County Sheriff’s office deputy in the shootout at the Big Bear cabin.
“He killed at least 5 pigs in a week, that's it. I bow down to him. Nobody would EVER be down to or pull that off #dornergang,” the user wrote.
Another Facebook group, “We Are All Chris Dorner,” has more than 3,600 likes.
“Christopher Jordan Dorner is the victim of a manhunt and smear campaign. 5 years ago he was fired from the LAPD for seeking to expose corruption within it...,” reads the page’s introduction.
When an LAPD spokesman said last night that the cabin was too hot to search, and that reports stating that Dorner’s body was recovered were inaccurate, the Facebook page heralded the development as “good news.”
The group also approved of Dorner’s tactics.
“The spirit of Chris #Dorner will live on forever in our hearts, as an eternal flame - symbolic of the will to stand up in an attempt to eradicate those who would seek to oppress us, by any means necessary, when no one else would,” read a post submitted late Monday night. “Will we be satisfied to tell our children that we were passive and happily complacent to obey the orders of our presumed masters? Or shall we seek to lead by example, doing what we know is both historically justifiable and simultaneously inevitable? The choice is (y)ours.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers