Four Veerapan Associates Face Execution as President Rejects Mercy Plea
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 14, 2013 2:00 AM EST
President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday rejected the mercy petition of four men closely associated with late forest brigand Veerappan.
The president's dismissal of the the long-pending petition is the latest to come after 26/11 attacker Ajmal Kasab and Parliament attack case convict Afzal Guru's appeals for clemecy were rejected leading to their execution. The four associates of Veerapan who are facing the death penalty are Gnanprakasham, Simon, Meesekar Madaiah and Bilavendran.
S Balamurugan, advocate and general secretary of People's Union for Civil Liberties Tamil Nadu, confirmed the report saying, "The family members received information from Belgaum prison authorities that the mercy petitions of the four have been rejected by the President," PTI reported.
The TADA court in Mysore court had awarded life imprisonment to all four in connection to the 1993 Palar landmine blast in which 21 policemen were killed. The Karnataka government filed a petition against the verdict in Supreme court demanding capital punishment for the accused.
In January 2004, a division bench headed by Justice YK Sabharwal and Justice BN Agrawal ruled in favour of the state government and sentenced the four to death. The accused had submitted a mercy petition to the president the same year.
After being elected to the nation's top post, Pranab rejected the mercy plea of Ajmal Kasab, the sole Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist captured alive in the 26/11 Mumbai attack. Kasab was executed on 21 November, 2012 in Yerawada central prison. Afzal Guru was the next high-profile convict to be sent to the gallows. He was executed on 9 February, 2013 in Tihar Jail.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers