Barclays Kenya eyes income growth from Absa tie-up
February 14, 2013 1:56 AM EST
Parent company Barclays
"The integration with Absa as we move forward is going to bring new capabilities which we are going to be able to leverage ... to drive future income growth," Jeremy Awori told reporters after an investor briefing.
The bank's 2012 pretax profit grew 8 percent to 13.0 billion shillings (95.5 million pounds) after it reduced loan impairment charges 80 percent to 144 million shillings.
Its shares fell 1.8 percent to 16.20 shillings.
"The results were consistent with what they have done in the last few years which is a conservative strategy of managing risk," said Judd Murigi, an analyst at African Alliance.
Kenyan lenders have posted good growth in recent years with collective industry profit jumping 20.4 percent to 89.3 billion shillings in 2011, according to the central bank.
Barclays Kenya's low-risk appetite has been blamed by analysts for its slower pace of earnings growth compared with local lenders such as Equity Bank
"The numbers were very defensive. The bank's model is not a high growth model," said Aly Khan Satchu, an independent trader and analyst. Both Equity and KCB routinely post high double-digit profit growth.
Mohamed said he expected the bank to benefit from the integration with Absa but ruled out a radical change to strategy. "The risk philosophy and portfolio is not going to change. If the macro-environment changes for the better, then you will see us do more business" he told reporters.
(Reporting by Duncan Miriri; Editing by George Obulutsa and Dan Lalor)
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored