Barclays Kenya eyes income growth from Absa tie-up
February 14, 2013 1:56 AM EST
Parent company Barclays
"The integration with Absa as we move forward is going to bring new capabilities which we are going to be able to leverage ... to drive future income growth," Jeremy Awori told reporters after an investor briefing.
The bank's 2012 pretax profit grew 8 percent to 13.0 billion shillings (95.5 million pounds) after it reduced loan impairment charges 80 percent to 144 million shillings.
Its shares fell 1.8 percent to 16.20 shillings.
"The results were consistent with what they have done in the last few years which is a conservative strategy of managing risk," said Judd Murigi, an analyst at African Alliance.
Kenyan lenders have posted good growth in recent years with collective industry profit jumping 20.4 percent to 89.3 billion shillings in 2011, according to the central bank.
Barclays Kenya's low-risk appetite has been blamed by analysts for its slower pace of earnings growth compared with local lenders such as Equity Bank
"The numbers were very defensive. The bank's model is not a high growth model," said Aly Khan Satchu, an independent trader and analyst. Both Equity and KCB routinely post high double-digit profit growth.
Mohamed said he expected the bank to benefit from the integration with Absa but ruled out a radical change to strategy. "The risk philosophy and portfolio is not going to change. If the macro-environment changes for the better, then you will see us do more business" he told reporters.
(Reporting by Duncan Miriri; Editing by George Obulutsa and Dan Lalor)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown