Barclays Kenya eyes income growth from Absa tie-up
February 14, 2013 1:56 AM EST
Parent company Barclays
"The integration with Absa as we move forward is going to bring new capabilities which we are going to be able to leverage ... to drive future income growth," Jeremy Awori told reporters after an investor briefing.
The bank's 2012 pretax profit grew 8 percent to 13.0 billion shillings (95.5 million pounds) after it reduced loan impairment charges 80 percent to 144 million shillings.
Its shares fell 1.8 percent to 16.20 shillings.
"The results were consistent with what they have done in the last few years which is a conservative strategy of managing risk," said Judd Murigi, an analyst at African Alliance.
Kenyan lenders have posted good growth in recent years with collective industry profit jumping 20.4 percent to 89.3 billion shillings in 2011, according to the central bank.
Barclays Kenya's low-risk appetite has been blamed by analysts for its slower pace of earnings growth compared with local lenders such as Equity Bank
"The numbers were very defensive. The bank's model is not a high growth model," said Aly Khan Satchu, an independent trader and analyst. Both Equity and KCB routinely post high double-digit profit growth.
Mohamed said he expected the bank to benefit from the integration with Absa but ruled out a radical change to strategy. "The risk philosophy and portfolio is not going to change. If the macro-environment changes for the better, then you will see us do more business" he told reporters.
(Reporting by Duncan Miriri; Editing by George Obulutsa and Dan Lalor)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged