Jimmy Savile Sex Scandal: BBC and Savile’s Estate to be Sued by Alleged Victims
By Ewan Palmer | February 14, 2013 1:04 AM EST
The estate of Jimmy Savile and the BBC are being sued on behalf of 31 alleged victims of sexual abuse by the disgraced presenter.
Collins said the number of people who are coming forward to Pannone to make claims is growing "on a daily basis". The allegations against Savile ranged from "inappropriate behaviour to serious sexual abuse".
The victims could receive compensation from the broadcaster or Savile's estate if the damages claims are won.
Collins added: "The purpose of issuing the writ is to protect our clients' position and to seek management directions from the court to ensure the claims are administered as efficiently as possible.
"At this stage we are unable to expand in detail on the nature of the cases or the allegations that have been made, which range in seriousness from inappropriate behaviour to serious sexual abuse."
In statement, the BBC said: "We're unable to comment on any legal claims of this nature made against the corporation."
NatWest announced in November that Savile's estate and assets had been frozen following the sexual abuse claims against the former Jim'll Fix It Presenter.
Last month, Collins wrote to Natwest believing the late DJ may have hidden millions of pounds in assets offshore. The lawyer alleged that Savile's fortune amounted to far more than the £4.3 million detailed in his will.
In January, a report by the Metropolitan Police and the NSPCC said there have been 214 recorded criminal offences lodged against Savile across 28 police force areas, including 34 cases of rape and 126 indecent assaults over six decades.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29