Barcelona Plan Swoop For Chelsea Defender - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 14, 2013 12:53 AM EST
La Liga leaders Barcelona are supposedly interested in Chelsea defender David Luiz. Talksport reports that Luiz is one of Barcelona's top priorities this summer, with the Catalan chiefs travelling to New York to discuss the transfer with Tito Vilanova who is undergoing treatment there.
Barcelona have a history of buying Premier League defensive midfield players and converting them to center backs. In 2010, they bought Javier Mascherano from Anfield, and last summer purchased Alexander Song from Arsenal. Although Mascherano has looked to have accomplished in the position, Song has been far from convincing.
The interest in Luiz represents a break from that tradition, as the Brazilian is considered a specialist center-half, albeit an offensive one. It remains to be seen whether Chelsea would be willing to sell. The west London outfit paid around £21m for the defender with the intent of keeping him at Chelsea long-term. If the Spanish club are to tempt Luiz from London, it is likely that an exorbitant transfer fee is required.
Although a center-back by trade, Luiz has featured in midfield for Chelsea, alongside Frank Lampard, whose future is also up in the air.
Lampard Linked with Everton switch
Speculation surrounding Frank Lampard's future continues as Everton continue to be linked with the England midfielder. The Daily Star claims the Merseyside club is willing to offer Lampard a three-year contract on 'sliding-scale' wages, with the top pay being around £80,000 a week.
Lampard is reported to have rejected an offer from Everton in the January transfer window but David Moyes is keen to renew his interest in the summer after Lampard's contract expires.
Last week, Roy Hodgson urged Lampard to remain in Europe to sustain his international career amid rumours of a move to China and the United States. A move to Everton would allow Lampard to remain in England and compete at the top end of the table with a club that could be in the Champions League next season. Rumours surrounding the player are likely to continue until the summer when the player will be forced to make a decision.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools