Barcelona Plan Swoop For Chelsea Defender - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 14, 2013 12:53 AM EST
La Liga leaders Barcelona are supposedly interested in Chelsea defender David Luiz. Talksport reports that Luiz is one of Barcelona's top priorities this summer, with the Catalan chiefs travelling to New York to discuss the transfer with Tito Vilanova who is undergoing treatment there.
Barcelona have a history of buying Premier League defensive midfield players and converting them to center backs. In 2010, they bought Javier Mascherano from Anfield, and last summer purchased Alexander Song from Arsenal. Although Mascherano has looked to have accomplished in the position, Song has been far from convincing.
The interest in Luiz represents a break from that tradition, as the Brazilian is considered a specialist center-half, albeit an offensive one. It remains to be seen whether Chelsea would be willing to sell. The west London outfit paid around £21m for the defender with the intent of keeping him at Chelsea long-term. If the Spanish club are to tempt Luiz from London, it is likely that an exorbitant transfer fee is required.
Although a center-back by trade, Luiz has featured in midfield for Chelsea, alongside Frank Lampard, whose future is also up in the air.
Lampard Linked with Everton switch
Speculation surrounding Frank Lampard's future continues as Everton continue to be linked with the England midfielder. The Daily Star claims the Merseyside club is willing to offer Lampard a three-year contract on 'sliding-scale' wages, with the top pay being around £80,000 a week.
Lampard is reported to have rejected an offer from Everton in the January transfer window but David Moyes is keen to renew his interest in the summer after Lampard's contract expires.
Last week, Roy Hodgson urged Lampard to remain in Europe to sustain his international career amid rumours of a move to China and the United States. A move to Everton would allow Lampard to remain in England and compete at the top end of the table with a club that could be in the Champions League next season. Rumours surrounding the player are likely to continue until the summer when the player will be forced to make a decision.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes