Barcelona Plan Swoop For Chelsea Defender - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 14, 2013 12:53 AM EST
La Liga leaders Barcelona are supposedly interested in Chelsea defender David Luiz. Talksport reports that Luiz is one of Barcelona's top priorities this summer, with the Catalan chiefs travelling to New York to discuss the transfer with Tito Vilanova who is undergoing treatment there.
Barcelona have a history of buying Premier League defensive midfield players and converting them to center backs. In 2010, they bought Javier Mascherano from Anfield, and last summer purchased Alexander Song from Arsenal. Although Mascherano has looked to have accomplished in the position, Song has been far from convincing.
The interest in Luiz represents a break from that tradition, as the Brazilian is considered a specialist center-half, albeit an offensive one. It remains to be seen whether Chelsea would be willing to sell. The west London outfit paid around £21m for the defender with the intent of keeping him at Chelsea long-term. If the Spanish club are to tempt Luiz from London, it is likely that an exorbitant transfer fee is required.
Although a center-back by trade, Luiz has featured in midfield for Chelsea, alongside Frank Lampard, whose future is also up in the air.
Lampard Linked with Everton switch
Speculation surrounding Frank Lampard's future continues as Everton continue to be linked with the England midfielder. The Daily Star claims the Merseyside club is willing to offer Lampard a three-year contract on 'sliding-scale' wages, with the top pay being around £80,000 a week.
Lampard is reported to have rejected an offer from Everton in the January transfer window but David Moyes is keen to renew his interest in the summer after Lampard's contract expires.
Last week, Roy Hodgson urged Lampard to remain in Europe to sustain his international career amid rumours of a move to China and the United States. A move to Everton would allow Lampard to remain in England and compete at the top end of the table with a club that could be in the Champions League next season. Rumours surrounding the player are likely to continue until the summer when the player will be forced to make a decision.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan