Barcelona Plan Swoop For Chelsea Defender - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 14, 2013 12:53 AM EST
La Liga leaders Barcelona are supposedly interested in Chelsea defender David Luiz. Talksport reports that Luiz is one of Barcelona's top priorities this summer, with the Catalan chiefs travelling to New York to discuss the transfer with Tito Vilanova who is undergoing treatment there.
Barcelona have a history of buying Premier League defensive midfield players and converting them to center backs. In 2010, they bought Javier Mascherano from Anfield, and last summer purchased Alexander Song from Arsenal. Although Mascherano has looked to have accomplished in the position, Song has been far from convincing.
The interest in Luiz represents a break from that tradition, as the Brazilian is considered a specialist center-half, albeit an offensive one. It remains to be seen whether Chelsea would be willing to sell. The west London outfit paid around £21m for the defender with the intent of keeping him at Chelsea long-term. If the Spanish club are to tempt Luiz from London, it is likely that an exorbitant transfer fee is required.
Although a center-back by trade, Luiz has featured in midfield for Chelsea, alongside Frank Lampard, whose future is also up in the air.
Lampard Linked with Everton switch
Speculation surrounding Frank Lampard's future continues as Everton continue to be linked with the England midfielder. The Daily Star claims the Merseyside club is willing to offer Lampard a three-year contract on 'sliding-scale' wages, with the top pay being around £80,000 a week.
Lampard is reported to have rejected an offer from Everton in the January transfer window but David Moyes is keen to renew his interest in the summer after Lampard's contract expires.
Last week, Roy Hodgson urged Lampard to remain in Europe to sustain his international career amid rumours of a move to China and the United States. A move to Everton would allow Lampard to remain in England and compete at the top end of the table with a club that could be in the Champions League next season. Rumours surrounding the player are likely to continue until the summer when the player will be forced to make a decision.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft