Barcelona Plan Swoop For Chelsea Defender - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 14, 2013 12:53 AM EST
La Liga leaders Barcelona are supposedly interested in Chelsea defender David Luiz. Talksport reports that Luiz is one of Barcelona's top priorities this summer, with the Catalan chiefs travelling to New York to discuss the transfer with Tito Vilanova who is undergoing treatment there.
Barcelona have a history of buying Premier League defensive midfield players and converting them to center backs. In 2010, they bought Javier Mascherano from Anfield, and last summer purchased Alexander Song from Arsenal. Although Mascherano has looked to have accomplished in the position, Song has been far from convincing.
The interest in Luiz represents a break from that tradition, as the Brazilian is considered a specialist center-half, albeit an offensive one. It remains to be seen whether Chelsea would be willing to sell. The west London outfit paid around £21m for the defender with the intent of keeping him at Chelsea long-term. If the Spanish club are to tempt Luiz from London, it is likely that an exorbitant transfer fee is required.
Although a center-back by trade, Luiz has featured in midfield for Chelsea, alongside Frank Lampard, whose future is also up in the air.
Lampard Linked with Everton switch
Speculation surrounding Frank Lampard's future continues as Everton continue to be linked with the England midfielder. The Daily Star claims the Merseyside club is willing to offer Lampard a three-year contract on 'sliding-scale' wages, with the top pay being around £80,000 a week.
Lampard is reported to have rejected an offer from Everton in the January transfer window but David Moyes is keen to renew his interest in the summer after Lampard's contract expires.
Last week, Roy Hodgson urged Lampard to remain in Europe to sustain his international career amid rumours of a move to China and the United States. A move to Everton would allow Lampard to remain in England and compete at the top end of the table with a club that could be in the Champions League next season. Rumours surrounding the player are likely to continue until the summer when the player will be forced to make a decision.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date