Rodgers Targets European Glory as Liverpool’s League Woes Continue
By Adrian Back | February 14, 2013 12:49 AM EST
Brendan Rodgers has placed extra emphasis on the Europa League after another disappointing performance in the Premier League saw his Liverpool side slip to a 2-0 home defeat to West Brom on Monday.
Having been knocked out of the Capital One Cup by Swansea and embarrassingly beaten by Oldham in the FA Cup, the Europa League represents Liverpool's last chance of winning another major trophy.
Under Kenny Dalglish last season Liverpool won the League Cup and lost in the final of the FA Cup to Chelsea, but this season they have struggled in the cup competitions as well as in the league.
After losing to West Brom they face an uphill battle to simply qualify for any form of European football and Rodgers has made it clear that he is taking the Europa League incredibly seriously now they are in the knockout stages of the competition.
"It's always been a real focus to do well in it, but obviously it's now the last trophy we can aim for this season, so there's no doubt the focus is narrowed into it," Rodgers told the official Liverpool website.
"Earlier in the season, because of the size of our squad, we had to try and manage the group games and that bore fruit for us because some of our young players got good experience in the tournament and we ended up coming out on top of the group.
"The Capital One Cup was a competition where it was an opportunity for the younger players to play and even though we wanted to do well in it, at that stage it wasn't a priority.
"But certainly going forward, every competition for us is vitally important, whether it's the league, the domestic cup competitions or the European games because the history of this great club has been built on those great successes and that's something we want to maintain."
Having used the group stages to hand debuts to a number of academy players, Rodgers confirmed that he would be sending a strong squad to Russia for a the difficult first leg against Zenit St. Petersburg.
"I want to go in as strong as we can. I think we're on the down slope now - we've only got 12 games in the league and hopefully we can progress in the Europa League. We'll be looking to go strong," continued Rodgers.
"The Sunday game [our rearranged clash with Swansea] hasn't helped us, if I'm being perfectly honest. We weren't due to play Swansea until the following week and I would have thought that after that was the best time to play that game.
"On the back of the players playing international games and two tough games away to Arsenal and Manchester City, it's something we'll need to look at.
"But there certainly won't be wholesale changes as there were in the earlier rounds because this is a competition that we want to be strong in and we've now only got two opportunities to get through to the next round.
"We'll assess and see how the group is, but the majority of the squad will travel."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal