Australian Priest Thomas Byrne Fined £660 for Biting Ear off Fellow Clergyman
By Umberto Bacchi | February 14, 2013 12:14 AM EST
An 81-year-old retired Australian Catholic priest has been fined A$1000 (£664) by a Perth court for biting off a fellow clergyman's ear during a row over a parking spot.
Fr Thomas Byrne pleaded guilty to assault and injury to his neighbour Fr Thomas Smith, 81, also a retired clergyman.
Perth magistrates spared Byrne from a criminal conviction, after his lawyer Seamus Rafferty presented a psychiatric report maintaining that the former priest suffered from frontal lobe dementia.
Byrne's condition caused changes in his character and social interaction and clouded his ability to judge, Rafferty said.
Byrne attacked Smith during a confrontation over a parking space at a retirement home in the Perth suburb of Dianella in November.
After they calmed down, Byrne reportedly pointed to something Smith had dropped during the brief scuffle. Smith picked it up and put it in his pocket without looking at it.
That something turned out to be a part of Smith's ear, the court heard, but he did not realise that until he got back to his room and took the object out of his pocket.
Rafferty said Byrne's act was out of the character for the priest who had been dedicated to his community for his whole life.
"He is deeply ashamed at his behaviour,'' Rafferty said.
Smith did not suffer long-term damage from the incident.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date