New York Fashion Week: Rodarte's Tie-Dye To Die For [PHOTOS, VIDEO]
By Nadine DeNinno | February 13, 2013 11:44 PM EST
Dust off those tie-dye shirts, Dead Heads and flower children, because designers Laura and Kate Mulleavy of Rodarte, who hold high command in the fashion industry, have brought them back.
Inspired by their native Santa Cruz, Calif., the Mulleavy sisters made their "own version" of tie dye, according to Laura, on silk satin in hues of pink, blue, red and black for Fall 2013 at the show during New York Fashion Week on Tuesday.
"We always knew we'd do a collection about where we grew up," Kate told Style.com.
The sisters also drew inspiration for their set from the Santa Cruz boardwalk with the colored circular pathway representing the Giant Dipper roller coaster in their hometown. Models walked around the installation wearing gowns and dresses in tie-dye. Some were embroidered with red roses, others with prints of the Grateful Dead, with Swarvoski crystals and others, most shockingly, with pieces of 3-D double-faced foam bibs, straps and collars.
“We wanted to build on some structure as a contrast, so a garment wasn’t all print,” Laura said in a backstage interview. “Something minimal and modern.”
The collection also included trench coats paired over shorts, biker jackets and monochromatic dresses emanating a 1990's vibe.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner: Kardashian Fame Almost Ruined My Dreams
- Kendall Jenner's Latest Guy, Chandler Parsons, Already Has a Girlfriend; Top Interesting Facts About the NBA Player
- Kendall Jenner Talks Posing Topless for Love Magazine: 'It's not weird in any way'
- Kendall Jenner Moves on with NBA Hunk Chandler Parsons, Harry Styles Becomes Serious with Paige Reifler
- Justin Bieber Vs Cara Delevingne: Justin Calls Cara Multiple Times to Know About Her Relation with Selena Gomez - Reports
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal