New York Fashion Week: Rodarte's Tie-Dye To Die For [PHOTOS, VIDEO]
By Nadine DeNinno | February 13, 2013 11:44 PM EST
Dust off those tie-dye shirts, Dead Heads and flower children, because designers Laura and Kate Mulleavy of Rodarte, who hold high command in the fashion industry, have brought them back.
Inspired by their native Santa Cruz, Calif., the Mulleavy sisters made their "own version" of tie dye, according to Laura, on silk satin in hues of pink, blue, red and black for Fall 2013 at the show during New York Fashion Week on Tuesday.
"We always knew we'd do a collection about where we grew up," Kate told Style.com.
The sisters also drew inspiration for their set from the Santa Cruz boardwalk with the colored circular pathway representing the Giant Dipper roller coaster in their hometown. Models walked around the installation wearing gowns and dresses in tie-dye. Some were embroidered with red roses, others with prints of the Grateful Dead, with Swarvoski crystals and others, most shockingly, with pieces of 3-D double-faced foam bibs, straps and collars.
“We wanted to build on some structure as a contrast, so a garment wasn’t all print,” Laura said in a backstage interview. “Something minimal and modern.”
The collection also included trench coats paired over shorts, biker jackets and monochromatic dresses emanating a 1990's vibe.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around