New York Fashion Week: Rodarte's Tie-Dye To Die For [PHOTOS, VIDEO]
By Nadine DeNinno | February 13, 2013 11:44 PM EST
Dust off those tie-dye shirts, Dead Heads and flower children, because designers Laura and Kate Mulleavy of Rodarte, who hold high command in the fashion industry, have brought them back.
Inspired by their native Santa Cruz, Calif., the Mulleavy sisters made their "own version" of tie dye, according to Laura, on silk satin in hues of pink, blue, red and black for Fall 2013 at the show during New York Fashion Week on Tuesday.
"We always knew we'd do a collection about where we grew up," Kate told Style.com.
The sisters also drew inspiration for their set from the Santa Cruz boardwalk with the colored circular pathway representing the Giant Dipper roller coaster in their hometown. Models walked around the installation wearing gowns and dresses in tie-dye. Some were embroidered with red roses, others with prints of the Grateful Dead, with Swarvoski crystals and others, most shockingly, with pieces of 3-D double-faced foam bibs, straps and collars.
“We wanted to build on some structure as a contrast, so a garment wasn’t all print,” Laura said in a backstage interview. “Something minimal and modern.”
The collection also included trench coats paired over shorts, biker jackets and monochromatic dresses emanating a 1990's vibe.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko