EU, U.S. fire starting gun for free trade talks
February 13, 2013 11:35 PM EST
The United States and the European Union agreed on Wednesday to push for the launch by the end of June of talks to create a free trade alliance that could be a benchmark for global partners to follow.
A free trade deal would be the most ambitious ever attempted, encompassing half the world's economic output and a third of global trade flows.
"These negotiations will set a standard, not only for our future bilateral trade and investment, including regulatory issues, but also for the development of global trade rules," European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso told a news conference.
Speaking after the release of a joint U.S./EU report recommending the start of talks, Barroso said the two were expected to launch negotiations in the first half of the year.
The report sees the EU's economy gaining around 0.5 percent and the U.S. economy around 0.4 percent by 2027, with 86 billion euros ($115.80 billion) of added annual income for the former and 65 billion euros for the latter.
The report's release comes a day after U.S. President Barack Obama threw his weight behind a potential deal in his state of the union address.
($1 = 0.7427 euros)
(Reporting By Philip Blenkinsop, Robert-Jan Bartunek, Adrian Croft and Ethan Bilby; Editing by Peter Graff)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money