EU, U.S. fire starting gun for free trade talks
February 13, 2013 11:35 PM EST
The United States and the European Union agreed on Wednesday to push for the launch by the end of June of talks to create a free trade alliance that could be a benchmark for global partners to follow.
A free trade deal would be the most ambitious ever attempted, encompassing half the world's economic output and a third of global trade flows.
"These negotiations will set a standard, not only for our future bilateral trade and investment, including regulatory issues, but also for the development of global trade rules," European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso told a news conference.
Speaking after the release of a joint U.S./EU report recommending the start of talks, Barroso said the two were expected to launch negotiations in the first half of the year.
The report sees the EU's economy gaining around 0.5 percent and the U.S. economy around 0.4 percent by 2027, with 86 billion euros ($115.80 billion) of added annual income for the former and 65 billion euros for the latter.
The report's release comes a day after U.S. President Barack Obama threw his weight behind a potential deal in his state of the union address.
($1 = 0.7427 euros)
(Reporting By Philip Blenkinsop, Robert-Jan Bartunek, Adrian Croft and Ethan Bilby; Editing by Peter Graff)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight